Gitzo GT2531EX w/ the articulating post

jay_drew

<p >Hi all</p>

<p >I'm seriously considering buying the Gitzo GT2531EX w/ the articulating post. The main reason I contemplating this purchase is for close up photography.</p>

<p >I have a GT3545XLS w/o a center post. With this Series 3 tripod, I often find close up subjects are beyond where I can place the camera due to the flattened & forward pointing leg(s) necessary to get low enough to shoot the subject.</p>

<p >I would prefer to get the center post for my GT3545XLS (Gitzo model # GS3512S) W/ a Lateral arm adapter for series 3 tripods. But for the life of me I can not find a Lateral post adapter for a Series 3 tripod. I can find them for Series 5;4;2, but no Series 3. I have found a Series 3 geared aluminum lateral arm. I don't want that.</p>

<p >So after all that bather, here are my questions:</p>

<p >1.) Does anyone have any idea of how this tripod would work or/ experience w/ a GT2531EX? Particularly w/ an Fx sized Nikon w/ bellows & a 105mm close up lens. (That' a lot of weight to reach out from the center line of the tripod)</p>

<p >2.) Would the GT2531EX, w/the center post extended out, be stable enough to allow exposures below, say, a 1/60th of a second? (I doubt it)</p>

<p >3.) If not, does anyone know how to buy a Lateral Side Arm Series 3 lateral arm adapter. If you don't know exactly where to buy one, do you know the Gitzo model number? I can find no mention of it on the 'Gitzo US' nor Gitzo UK site</p>

<p >Any suggestion gretly appreiciated.</p>

<p >jdmcgraw@sonic.net</p>

<p>You need a wide adapter plate for a column, or an insert for a Systematic tripod. I cite B&H because they are the best source for Gitzo in the U.S.</p>

<p>http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=gitzo+lateral+arm&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=</p>

<p>There is also an Explorer model with an articulated column. In fact the legs are articulated too, and can be set at any angle.</p>

<p>http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=gitzp+explorer&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=</p>

<p>The classic articulated tripods are made by Benbo. I have a #2, but don't use it much any more. A single clamp holds all three legs and the column. You can literally hold the camera in position while you attempt to set the legs and lock the setup. I say "attempt" because it takes both hands and one foot to get the job done, every time you set it down to shoot. The Benbo is also very large, and resembles a rocket launcher when you carry it over one shoulder. The upside is, horses on the trail give you a WIDE berth (but you still have to watch where you step).</p>

<p>http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=Brand_Benbo&ci=4900&N=4294543251+4291589599</p>

<p> </p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>I wish I could have gotten the rebates from Edward's link when I purchased my 2541EX.<br /><br />I have used mine, problem free, from a D5x00/D300 and even a old Kodak slr/N for close-up (sometimes with tubes) for flowers, buds or blooms work. There are no leg clicks or stops. Basically you must use leg & column extension + tilt for weight distribution (balance your center of gravity) to obtain best stability. It's a specialty,"trick shot" pod for getting under or around foilage, fallen branches, etc.<br /><br />Normal use, column fully extended, I have to hunch down a bit, as it's short. What boggles me a bit.....I've yet to have any stability problems, even with long FL's & heavy rigs. I also have an old, old Gitzo Studex, systematic tripod with a geared head. There is no chance of myself ever lugging that into the woods.<br /><br />It would be a compliment to your larger Gitzo. If you were only to purchase an explorer as your one & only, I'd suggest something else. <br /><br />OTOH, if you are using a bellows for 1:1 or greater, you will even run into stability issues in the best studio conditions, even using the heaviest of pods or stands. Outside? Hold your breath and have a (quick to adjust) wind tent or blind.</p>

<p >Hi Steven</p>

<p >Thank you for your post. It's an interesting coincidence the things U posted. Starting w/ the idea of a wind blind. It's a project I'm working on now, to be held down w/ H2O bags. And the only FX digital sized Nikon (if U can call it that) I have is a Kodak DCS 1n, which is 1 of the cameras in addition to a, DX, D7000 that I intend to do close up with.</p>

<p > I'm glad to hear that the GT 2531 EX is sturdy enough for some close up duty. I think I will get some extension tubes for less weight than bellows.</p>

<p > And Edward , thank you for the tip on the $150 rebate.</p>

<p > Now, does anyone know of the model # for a lateral post adapter for a series 3 tripod. I called B&H & the fella that I talked to had no idea. I Emailed Gitzo US & got a nonsensical answer. Even if they are no longer made, if I knew a model #, I could look for a used one.<br>

jdmcgraw@sonic.net</p>