Summicron-M 35 mm ASPH: Alternative hoods?

bjarni_m.

<p>I would like to find a screw-in hood - preferably square and metal - for my Summicron-M 35 mm ASPH, so i could have a hood that's impossible to knock of by accident.</p>

<p>Is there any square screw-in hoods from Leica, that could be used for the Summicron-M 35 mm ASPH (E39 mm)?</p>

<p>It looks like the Summarit 2.5 35 mm has a square metal hood with the right diameter, E39. Does anyone know if it's a choice? Is it gonna sit tight on the Summicron and aligned well?</p>

<p>A screw in square hood would need to have a locking nut to stop it swiveling. I have an independent make of this kind of hood to fit 41.5 mm Contax, presunably for 50mm lens, maybe 60 years old, so somewhere out there there may be a 39mm.....<br>

The round vented metal Leica hoods will work, only they clip on. What's your beef with clip on hoods? Does the normal square plastic one knock off easily? The older vented ones don't</p>

<p>You must have a particularly loose fitting square hood. Mine has never been knocked off in normal use and when I did hit it on a door frame I was very glad it was plastic rather than metal and better able to absorb the shock than the more precious lens elements.</p>

<p>I am not aware of a screw in square hood. If they exist they would need, as James says, a lock to position and hold the hood in the right alignment. I find my square plastic hood optimum for unwanted light exclusion, as a round screw-in hood would be less effective in shielding the lens front element.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I don't like the original and supplied hood so well, because it's not sitting so tight as a screw-in hood would do, and in certain situations i don't want to bother about the hood maybe falling of the lens.</p>

<p>Yes, i know it would need some kind of lock to position if a square hood should be used as a screw-in hood.</p>

<p>I almost refuse to believe that Leica didn't invent a better square hood than the supplied 12526 hood, since the Summicron-M 35 ASPH is a excellent lens, which the lens hood isn't.</p>

<p>I find my 'copy' of the supplied hood very solid - any blow severe enough to knock it off would probably transmit a pretty damaging force to the lens if it hit a metal screw on hood instead. I see from the other thread that Leica replaced your original hood, but it sounds like the problem may not be completely solved?</p>

The problem is solved in a way. Leica did

send me a new hood (thumbs up for

customer service), which is sitting much

tighter on the lens than the hood that was

supplied with the lens from factory when

new.

I would prefer if it was as hard to knock of

the lens as a screw in hood is.

<p>Bjarni, while I can sympathize with your problem, I do disagree completely that the hood is a poor design, any more than the 21mm square hood and other Leica square hoods are poor designs. Overpriced, yes, but plastic hoods are preferred in my work as they are safety features for the lens if anyone would want to use the camera roughly (other than hammering nails, for which a cheap Stanley hammer is better). The optics are heavy enough, especially the silver chrome ones, without adding any extra metal. </p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>Hi Arthur!<br /><br />When i said that the hood isn't good, i mean that it's a shame it isn't sitting tight enough on the lens. My only complain was that it isn't sitting tight/firm enough on the lens.<br /><br />I didn't complain about the hood in other ways.</p>