Upgrading OSX From Maverics To Yosemite

>>> But often 3rd party software relies on those to work, either because it's not well written or because of

some wrong assumption, or whatever. In those cases, it will break.

And... Many 3rd party developers design their software to go it alone in certain situations using

non-public APIs or modifying/controlling the system software/drivers directly - a potentially dangerous

security situation for end users. Of course that's not supported, and then in the future when Apple or other OS manufacturer

updates their OS (i.e., Mavericks to Yosemite), those 3rd party software products can potentially behave badly or fail.

www.citysnaps.net

<blockquote>

<p>- By no conceivable standard does Apple do a worse job than MS or Google or any of the Linux vendors in supplying an operating system.</p>

</blockquote>

<p> <br>

Antonio, that's your opinion. It's mine that Apple has very little hardware configurations to write drivers for while at the same time, have control and sell the hardware. No other vendor has this advantage and Apple often gets basic things like wifi incorrect. The list is huge and ridiculous, actually. It baffles many on the mac forums that slight bugs like this are often patched the day or two after their OS release and not before by beta testers. I personally wont load an Apple OS for at least 6 or 8 months after it has been released and all the bugs have been worked out and the forums have solutions and instructions to follow. With Windows on the other hand, I have all the confidence in the world to load a new OS on their release day as I am more than confident that my wifi, Lightroom, 3 rd party ssd's, and printers will work. </p>

<p>Think it depends what you're doing with your computer whether you need to rush to change to each new version of OS X. I've still got one of the first iMac G4's in the house still with its original 10.1 software, still works any time I turn it on, which isn't that often these days but it does look good!<br>

I've got three main much newer iMac computers two at home and one at work, all still running Snow Leopard, reason being that I did intend to buy an upgrade disc after a few OS X generations but then Apple switched to download only, which is impossible to use at work as my broadband is very slow there ( think kb often, not mb, thanks BT!) and no matter how often I tried, I could not get Maverick to download properly. And guess what, the computers continue to work well with Pages, Numbers and Lightroom. I know I could download it at home but as long as things work well, for me at least there is no compelling reason to update right now.<br>

By all means update to Yosemite if it gives something that you really need, otherwise use what you have and enjoy it. Whatever you do, there is always going to be a newer and better version. Apple dropped the DVD/CD drive on their newer computers, allegedly to cut weight and slim the design down but it also gave them full control of all of their software sales as physical copies were no longer available from third party vendors. Personally speaking, I like having the built in DVD/CD drive, as I can easily add music to iTunes any time that I want from my old CD collection and not have to buy the same music from iTunes or have to plug in a separate disc drive to one of the new slimmer iMac's. Maybe a case to drop this on a laptop but not on desktop designs.</p>

• 2 months later...