Swamps. Has anyone been there? If so, any 1st hand info you

might have on particular locations where I can access the

Cypress Swamps would be much appreciated. Any other 1st

hand info you might have on other photographic opportunities

within the Big Thicket would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in

advance for your advise/recommendations. I will only have two

days there this trip but might be frequenting the area over the

next year.

Although I live near Big Thicket I have unfortunately not been there. I can recommend some areas within two to three hours, however, two days probably won't give you much time to travel. If you are interested for future trips, feel free to contact me.

Also, when are you going? The Cypress are devoid of any leaves right now (may actually be better for B&W). They normally start sprouting out again sometime around April.

The Reserve is made up many small sections. Years ago I hiked a few of them. I did contact a ranger (via the Internet after I found their web site) there about two years ago about where to photograph herpes. I was unable to make the trip but he seemed to be a very helpful and knowledgable person. You might try that route.

I grew up just 25 minutes from the Big Thicket and spent much of my teenage years in the cypress swamps learning how to handle a camera. As far as I am concerned, there is no better place for nature photography. Once I enetered the professional photo arena I moved of to Colorado and have spent 6 years there. Now my wife, son, and I are moving back to Texas because nothing else is like the Thicket. I was in the swamps yesterday and had more fun taking pictures than I have in years.

I recommend going to the large new visitors center. They have plenty of maps, literature, and knowledgeable forest rangers who can help you. That center is located 8 or 9 miles north of Kountze on highway 69.

For a brief introduction to the Thicket - I recommend going to the Kirby nature trail loop which is just a couple of miles down from the visitors center on a side road. There are a couple of forking loops on this trail - be sure and take the cypress loop.

Otherwise for acess to the swamps I recommend renting a canoe to explore the Village Creek unit near Lumberton, Texas.

There is no "off season" in the Thicket. Of course there is much more color and density of growth in the spring - but plenty of fallen leaves right now for macro work and I'm sure B&W landscapes will not be thwarted. The Thicket is an engrossing and mysterious place. Do not read any ghost stories before you enter!

Enjoy!

• 11 months later...