Reputed magazine did not credit me

samir_mainali

<p>Hi, <br>

I was approached by a Dutch airlines magazine for a photograph . They mailed me on my Flicker and requested for my photograph in exchange of publishing name credit on the magazine. After the picture was published recently i could not find my name in the credit list. On my inquiry they easily told that their new staff made a mistake and they will add my name in a short time. Its been more than a week now i still cant find my name published. Its shame how photographers are asked for free pictures to run big business. Its even shameful that we dont get credit for our own work. <br>

http://www.iflymagazine.com/#/about</p>

<p>Samir Mainali </p>

<blockquote>

<p>"Its shame how photographers are asked for free pictures to run big business."<br /><br /></p>

</blockquote>

<p>You contributed to it and encouraged more to occur by providing the free imagery. I'm not sure why you would do that if this is the way you feel.</p>

<p>This is a magazine put out by one of the largest airlines in the world. They are not going to give you a free flight (or probably even a free drink during a flight) just because you email them and ask them. Why would you give them a free picture? The going rate for a photo in just about any magazine of any size is at least a couple of hundred dollars.</p>

<p>Free or not free is irrelevant once you agreed to free. The issue is the lack of credit that they said you would get and you didn't. Look for people higher up in the company, maybe a vice president who could be in charge of the web publication, and ask to have it fixed. And, as John points out, if you don't want to do free, don't do free. </p>

When you give away images for free, the images are not perceived as having any value. When the image is perceived as

having no or little value, the result of that might be that there is less or no respect for the photographer. I am afraid that

this is just the way things go. So it is better to set your price if a company asks permission to use/license your photo. All

the best to you.

<blockquote>

<p>OP does not suggest anything about monetary compensation.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>The OP specifically expressed an opinion on that subject... "<em>Its shame how photographers are asked for free pictures to run big business</em>". Discussing that doesn't mean we missed the crediting complaint. It means we chose to discuss the free photography comment. If there is anything to contribute to the lack of crediting as agreed, please indulge.</p>

<p>"I read the text you quoted as display of disgust toward the magazine; and the original post as asking for suggestions"<br /><br /><br /><br />There were no questions anywhere but someone did provide a suggestion nevertheless. I can't think of others that don't involve extraordinary measures, such as spending money and time suing a distant business to obtain a remedy for the complained of slight that features scant, if any, monetary value. Do you have any suggestions to add or just complaints that people responded to other issues Samir raised?</p>

• 3 weeks later...
<p>The next time someone asks you for the free use of one of your photos in exchange for some exposure of a credit line, just picture yourself standing outside naked in a blizzard. That's exposure. Your non-existent credit line is worth almost the exact same as a real credit line: not much. For a big magazine, you're just the smallest blip of a fly on a wall, and your complaining about not getting your free credit line will get you exactly what they would do for anyone they paid for the photo and a credit line; You'll get a small correction notice in next months issue. (Unless you piss them off.) There's nothing more they owe you. The reason pros ask for money is cuz they know credit lines are pretty much worth squat. The reason commercial uses get more money than editorial uses is the photographer charge more to the company to leave the credit line OFF. Think about it. The value is not in having the credit line, but it is worth more to the client to not have the credit line as a requirement for use. But... moot point since many who call themselves photographers don't understand the value of their work.</p>

<p>I think your penultimate sentence is the most significant of your post. Why is it that large, well-off organisations and their agencies <em>know </em>they can flatter their way into getting photographs for nothing just by saying "we haven't got a budget for that"? Why is it that the opportunity to see their name in print, no matter how tiny and insignificant, finds so many people willing to give away their best work for free? I wonder how many free tickets the airline gives away. I wonder whether their creative agencies , their printers, their magazine staff all work for free? And if they don't, why should you?</p>

<p>I always ask myself ( and often ask them) whether the person asking me for free work is themselves working for nothing. </p>

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
<p>Samier you got plenty of advices in here so the tough lesson learned is "A Photo Used Is A Photo Pay For" and if you want to swim with the big fish then ask questions before you do any future photo business. That is why you don't walk into a restaurant and ask for a free meal and expect the owner/chef to give it to you for free or they will laugh at you. In this case the magazine laughed right on your face with a total lack of respect thinking "what a fool he gave us a best image for free."<br />I don't know how large the image was use but for a small 1/4 size page you should had been paid at least 350€ or plenty more if your photo was display 1/2, 3/4 or full page etc<br />Remember they came to you for they found the PERFECT image to compliment their article. If they had hired a photographer to do the same image, and most of the time you can't duplicate a moment for many obvious reasons, the magazine would had probably paid 900€ or even more. <br />As a magazine photographer or when I do consultation I always tell other photographers to have a written contract making clear all the licensing rights/usages that has been agree by photographer/client after a fees had been negotiated. And with a signed contract the photographer will have validation and protection for all is out in the open. So from now on ALWAYS use a contract and have a paper trail. <br />In a way your mistake and your lack of knowledge of doing photo biz, if you haven't resolve your situation yet, could now help you too.<br />Right away contact the magazine and send an email to the person who approached you first and cc the editor of the magazine and let them know that they violated what was agree upon. And that the permission of any reproduction rights to your photo was based on getting a photo credit on their magazine. <br />And since credit line wasn't given as you're told, you will now bill them 800€. Also they must make up their error by giving you, during their next issue, the credit correction with their next issue. When a photo credit is missing you are also missing out of having your image been seen by PLENTY of potential clients. All the best! More2Come! Pag<br>