D800 - mark on sensor

archaeoImages

<p>Just noticed a "spot" on pictures from my D800, only shows up against a plain background (usually sky). Appears to be only one & as it occurs whilst using different lenses I assume it must be dirt on the sensor. Example attached (the inset is at 100%).</p>

<p>As I'm new to Nikon digital cameras just looking for some advice - how easy is it to deal with a sensor clean oneself or is it advisable to send it for a professional clean.</p>

<p>Any advice would be appreciated.</p>

<p>Martyn</p><div>00cjVj-550071884.jpg.febd5c5d1eb003fb33e4670b32cd6609.jpg</div>

The most difficult thing about sensor cleaning is getting over the fear of sensor cleaning. There are

basically two styles, dry cleaning and wet cleaning. Dry cleaning generally requires a blower (don't use

compressed air) and a brush. Wet cleaning uses swabs with a cleaning liquid. Common practice is to try

dry cleaning first then wet cleaning if that doesn't do the trick. The only expensive thing that you might

want to have is a something that magnifies the sensor to see where the dust/smudges are (you can use a

flashlight and a magnifying glass for this if you don't want to buy a sensor loupe; you can also check your

progress by taking shots on a clean background until you get everything). The rest of the stuff is pretty

cheap. There are plenty of videos around on the details. BTW, it looks like you have a second spot just to

the right of your box. It's much smaller and this is more typical of what I tend to get.

Good luck.

--Wade

<p>Er, Wade - I think that box is a magnification. That does look like quite a big blob, though.<br />

<br />

I've always got someone else to clean my cameras, but that's partly because I work twenty minutes from Nikon UK, and partly because my house is full of floating cat hair, so leaving the sensor exposed is highly likely to make matters worse for me. Note, though, that dust is always much more visible at smaller apertures. My sensor is filthy if I shoot at f/16, but at f/4 it looks fine. That's useful to know if you're deciding whether you can live with some dust for a while.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>As I'm new to Nikon digital cameras</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I don't think Nikon has a corner on this and I agree with Wade. <br>

I've been cleaning my own sensors for a dozen years now. I use a rubber Rocket, lighted loupe, proprietary swabs and cleaning fluid. The internet is an excellent source of information on this and videos exist.</p>

<p>Normal dust spot; first thing to try is a rubber rocket blower, and usually that is already enough.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>it occurs whilst using different lenses I assume it must be dirt on the sensor</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Just to be sure: the visibility of dust specs depends most on aperture - small apertures make them a lot more visible. It does not depends on which lens is used. Getting dust on the sensor - it is a myth that this occurs due to changing lenses. It can also happen when you never change a lens - lenses are not dust-proof, and especially larger zooms can push around quite some air and dust. So even those superzooms can cause sensor dust still (of course it can <em>also</em> happen while changing lenses - just saying it is <em>not exclusively</em> so).</p>