xtol mixing slip

PatB

Hi All,

After mixing a new batch of Xtol I realized that I had made a (small?) mistake.

I dissolved part A packet in 4 l completly but then instead of mixing part B first and THEN topping up to 5 l I

added 1l of water to the 4l part A solution to make 5l and then mixed in part B - don't ask me why, it was an end

to a very long day...

I was using a new mixing container for this, marking each litre with a sharpie as I was adding water in 1l

increments. The 5th litre mark was slightly higher than the rest when I marked it during mixing but when I

remeasured the volume difference between clean water and Xtol solution it was a mere 50ml. The volume

difference will be therefore insignificant, around 5ml per each 1:1 1l working solution that I tend to use, however,

will the fact that I added the extra water before adding part B affect anything? Is there a practical (the slight increase in water volume after mixing in both parts) or chemical reason (strength or concentration of part A to mix well with part B) for using only 4l of water to begin with?

Many thanks!

Pat

<p>Yes, it has to do with the intermolucular space. THE reason you ended up with a bit more then 5 Ltr.<br>

Not a real big problem but if you want you can re-calculate the exact volume back when using a 1+1 dilution. But the deviation will be neglectible in terms of logD of the film.</p>