<p>Trying to scan tonight with the latest version of Vuescan on Mac OS 10.9.3,but all I get as an image is a clear orange screen<br /><br />The scanner initialises as normal,and the preview has all the whirs and whees associated with the scanner,but no image produced.</p>

Have you tried resetting Vuescan and calibrating the scanner?

At first sight, the CCD isn't capturing anything. But if it were damaged I'd sooner expect an electrical crash than just

returning a blank image. Try it on another computer, just in case, and with a different, small, cable. Try switching between

using FireWire and USB.

<p>I seem to have resolved my problem.<br />Having tried a variety of suggestions including some ideas from Ed Hamrick,and even downloading earlier versions of Vuescan,I followed some advice on Photo Net about letting the scanner warm up,in my case,due to other commitments, I let it warm up for two hours. <br /><br />Then,as if by magic, it worked perfectly.<br /><br />Now,I'll never know whether the machine,like me in the morning,needs to come round slowly,or whether it was simply that I hadn't used it for a few months,but whatever it was I seem to have woken it up. I've had it for about sixteen years,so it's possible its bones,like mine,are starting to creak.<br /><br />From now on I'll be making a point of running it every day,as there does not appear to be anyone who services these excellent machines.</p>