Northern California

gungajim

<p>Any suggestions for photo opportunities that might otherwise be overlooked for the region bound by Sacramento, Redwoods NP, Lassen Volcanic NP and Lake Tahoe? Is Tahoe even worth the trouble? Thanks for your tips. </p>

<p>That's actually a pretty weird quadrilateral in terms of natural landscapes- it cuts across the state NW to SE across the grain of the landscape, and is pretty skinny. Are you traveling from Eureka to Sacramento or vice versa, which would explain the shape of your area of interest?</p>

<p>That said, here are a few areas of relative obscurity to outsiders:<br>

-Highway 49 between Downieville and Sierraville. Rugged mountain canyon, a rushing river, and a historic gold mining town with lots of old houses.<br>

-The Sutter Buttes in the middle of the Sacramento Valley, privately owned but visible at a distance from public roads; such views are definitely best during the golden hours.<br>

-Iron Canyon on the Sacramento River between Redding and Red Bluff- best access is by boat but there is land access. Expansive views of the Sacramento River.<br>

-The back roads through the western edges of Tehama, Glenn, and Colusa counties. These are paved roads running through the foothills of the inner North Coast Range, and offer golden hills in the foreground, dark mountains in the distance, solitude, and this time of the year, heat. Bring extra water.<br>

-Just outside of your area, the Salmon River roads between Somes Bar and Etna. Take either road over the crest of the Salmon Mountains. This is a scenic but remote area; it's best to stay close to the paved roads due to the potential for illegal activities out in the forests.</p>

<p>Have fun!</p>

<p>Tahoe is rather large (73 miles to drive completely around) and in some places it offers really cools vistas. From my experience the West side of the lake rocks....mostly since an average person has more access to it. You can visit Nordic castle there...and Crystal Bay can be really nice, during some parts of the day and around sunset (glow). The No side has some beaches and some neat rocks that you can suntan on or just take some shots of deep waters (often turn turquoise). I'm not much into gambling, but that's there too....and there are some great views from the top of Harrah's Hotel. The water, particularly with a pola filter, it can be mesmerizing deep deep blue.</p>

<p>Lassen is definitely at the top 10 of my list. It's a quiet gem....and not as popular as some of the parks. Actually, when I used to live on the central coast of CA, I thoroughly enjoyed mentioning Lassen...and 9 out of 10 I'd get this weird stare, like<em> where the hail is that ? </em>Anyway, it is certainly possible to hike Mt Lassen to the top. The reason I'm saying this since the parking lot where the trail starts is at around 8400'. Besides, I was 60 when I hiked to the top (in 2010). If you're coming from E. side of the continent, then it would be a good idea to acclimatize oneself to elevations over 6500' (probably lowest elev in the park). I took my sweetest time to get to the top, since I was taking photos. You can take several hikes to view boiling mud, around a lake....in fact there are several lakes. Due to elev. the nights can dip into 40's even in July. In the last 10yrs I've camped there twice with friends for an entire week.</p>

<p>Redwoods is less known to me even though I've been through it more times than Lassen or Tahoe. Prairie Creek St PK is within Redwoods and it's an awesome place. If you are lucky you can spot some elk....there is this corkscrew tree (not too far) and also one of the redwood trees is just a shell....the inside is completely burned out. The trees sort of create this humbling effect as they are truely giant (a spectacle). The light may not be as plentiful as at some other places, but if you take a tripod and cable release, you'll be set.</p>

<p>You can't go wrong no matter which you decide to choose.</p>

<p>Les</p><div>00ccyB-548860284.jpg.00ba460a4622297c25e42d96bda82adb.jpg</div>

<p>Bill/Leszek,<br /> I'd like to thank both of you for your very helpful comments. Bill, I'm doing a circle beginning and ending in Sacramento. Leszek, I live near Denver so the altitude at Lassen should not be a problem for me. Jim</p>

<p>Hi Jim,<br>

You may want to look into Bidwell Park in Chico. This is on the eastern side of the valley between Sacramento and Red Bluff, on your way to or from Lassen. Part of the park is in town, but the bulk of it is east of town in the foothills. There is a large canyon where Chico Creek cuts through layers and bluffs of volcanic rock. It's interesting from a geologic perspective. There is good information on line about the park that is far more current than what I can offer. I used to live in the area and always enjoyed hiking in the canyon and looking for the ultimate swimming hole. Have a great trip.</p>