how to pose a person

tanya_moe2

<p>I use my hand like Henry recommends and/or with a mirroring of them matching me tilting my head. I tilt the head to the side that looks best or if I need to adjust the nose shadow/ rembrandt triangle when the light source can't be moved. Head tilt "rules" are really guidelines. May also have to analyze what a shoulder tilt body language implies. Lifting the front shoulder is like blocking, fearful, protecting yourself, hiding from the viewer. Dropping the front shoulder is a confident, I'm not afraid of you position, more aggressive position. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>[bob Bill] I use my hand like Henry recommends and/or with a mirroring of them matching me tilting my head.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>This is also the way that I like to work. The great majority of portraits I've shot have been from a tripod or camera stand, which is my preference. This lets you step away from the camera to straighten wrinkles or adjust a collar, which is very helpful.</p>

<p>For head positioning, I use both hands and exaggerate as though I'm using my fingertips to tilt or rotate my head, telling the subject, "like this." When they mirror your motions, it's very easy to position their head where you want. You can use the same method to move arms, rotate the body, etc.</p>

<p>If you're shooting handheld, it's much harder to make adjustments, because you have to take the camera away from your face and interrupt the shooting sequence, then get back into the groove again. If I'm just plinking around, taking things by chance, I'd rather work handheld, but for more serious work, I like being on a camera stand with a remote camera trip. (A second option is to have a trusted assistant work the camera, according to your directions, while you work the subject.)</p>

<p>I think that if you concentrate on the image in the viewfinder, you'll be able to see which head angles work best. If you try various ways, then trust to your judgement, you'll probably be ok. If it doesn't look "balanced," or it seems like the subject is trying not to fall over, adjust their arms or body position, or try a camera tilt.</p>

<p>Bill, I would love to have a rolling camera stand. I like the speed of adjustment compared to a tripod. Perhaps as I consider moving to 36 mp and am printing larger I can justify it to myself. I shoot a lot at wide apertures and slower speeds with hot lights so it just might be necessary. Another posing technique is to hold the palm and fingers at the subjects head like you are turning a large knob. About anything works better than verbal instructions. Be cautious about touching your subject to adjust and if you do, always ask permission first. Just relocated 3000 miles so left my trusted assistant behind. I hear that guy named Tonto is available but the last time I worked with him he kept saying something about Ke mo sabe. I think it has to do with exposure. I love the line in the movie when the Lone Ranger rears Silver up and yells Hi yo silver and away and Johnny Depp/tonto who was riding next to him said: don't ever do that again. Classic Depp. </p>

" It says ask them to tilt there head toward the lower or upper shoulder."

This posing style has been the same for many years. These 2 poses are known as the masculine and

feminine pose.

With the ladies they can tilt their heads either way or both ways. You MUST be careful with the guys.

The feminine pose, tilting the mans head to the front shoulder can make him look gay.

Notice that the below photo the groom is tilting his head towards his back shoulder. Also notice how his

shoulders aren't even, square. More of the grooms weight is leaning on his back leg. This is a very

naterial position for men.

A very great question! Hope this helps.