how to know the generation a 28-135 IS lens is?

shutterbug78

<p>AFAIK there is no official modification of this lens although given it is in production for 15 yrs or so it is safe to assume that some parts have been altered: different supplier/materials/etc. but I wouldn't bother. Is a 10 yr old new in the box lens better or worse than a 2 months old refurbished one?<br>

Do a Google search, I've seen the serial numbers explained in detail some time ago, maybe even on pnet.</p>

<p>I owned an easily production sample from the late 90s and it was a lot better than the one I got as a kit lens with a 50D. The only thing is they tend to get loose as a goose after a few years of zooming.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>Here's a page on finding the manufacture date of a Canon lens based on the date code that is stamped on most lenses.</p>

<p>http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Canon-Lenses/Canon-Lens-Aging.aspx</p>

<p>Realistically though, the amount of use the lens has received will matter more than how old it is. I would expect any official Canon refurbished lenses for sale to be quite recent production, and to have had minimal use.</p>

<p>hummm.....Alan, Thanks for the info on Date codes, very good to know & I will save this info ... unfortunately, I don't think It will help me choose which used lens I want from Adorama though, They have several of the same used lens and I thought the serial # would help me choose one.<br>

The lens is pre 2008 and if the code is stamped beside the rear lens element (medal end) I can't tell what year it was from. If it was in the serial # that would have been a help. I didn't choose the Canon Refurbished because it was $100 more and my husband doesn't treat equipment as well as I do so we thought save the $100.<br>

shutterbug78</p>

<p>I'm curious why you want a newer copy of what is, essentially, the same lens? As said, in this case, use trumps age as the primary determinant of reliability, and resultant IQ.</p>

<p>Does your copy exhibit some problems? This is a consumer grade lens, and, while it's a fine workhorse for casual shooting (I have one I use every now and then when I don't want to put more expensive glass in harms way), there does exist a fair bit of variation from copy to copy. I think it is a mistake to assume that a 'newer' copy will, by default, be a better performer.</p>

<p>Even though copies can easily be had for $250, I think, if I were concerned about a 'newer' or 'better' copy, the Canon refurb would be a better choice, despite the premium price. </p>

<p>Thanks for your reply ....good question ....well, my Daughter got married last Nov. and some how that lens moved out with her...I didn't have the heart to ask her to trade me back for an old smaller standard zoom lens 28 - 80mm<br>

Now both my husband and I have full frame camera bodies (5D MK 2 & 3 ) and I have a 24 to 105L lens but he doesn't have a standard zoom lens and he does not take care of them well enough to pay for another expensive lens...so That is why I am thinking of getting a replacement 28 to 135mm for under $300. He doesn't use it much any way. We did a niece's wedding this month and he got by with that old 28-80mm and the 75-300 IS mm. Occasionally we do relative weddings for free.<br>

We also have a Canon 75 to <strong>300</strong> Image Stabilizer zoom (black) and He is interested in a White 70 to <strong>200</strong> zoom and the cheaper would be F4 with out IS, But I think IS is needed since he would rather not use a tripod. I can't decide if it is worth getting this lens when he can use the 75 to 300 IS with more zoom. We also have a Canon 500mm IS lens and a Canon 100 to 400 IS (Both white) to share when doing sports or wildlife. We have never considered a non Canon lens...and don't know what is good and what is not out there.<br>

What do you think?</p><div>00cn0C-550720784.thumb.jpg.2ba841e57de7ef36ded69426dee82e4a.jpg</div>

<p>If you are referring to the original IS lens (75-300mm f4-5.6 IS), not the newer 70-300 IS, then he will definitely prefer the 70-200/4 IS - It is vastly sharper than the original 75-300 (the 70-300 IS is also much better, but still has it's flaws) in fact I think it is probably so much sharper than the 75-300 that you could get better pictures output by cropping the image (@ 200mm) to a 300mm FOV than the 75-300's native output @ 300mm. ...and I don't think I would seriously consider a non IS telephoto for him (or you) if you guys are used to using IS equipped ones. </p>