YongNuo YN560 III vs Canon 580EX II

hjoseph7

<p>The YongNuo YN560 III does pretty much everything the Canon 580EX can do, but would you use this flash at a wedding ? Currently it is selling for $75 on Amazon. That's about a 1/5 of the price of a brand new Canon 580EX II, plus it comes with radio receivers vs. optical receivers on the Canon . I decided to do some research on this flash after seeing(but not remembering) the name pop-up often on the Lighting forum. So far most of the reviews on this speed light have been positive but how can that be ? </p>

<p>I have to wonder what the real cost of a 580EX II is. However, there is little doubt the Yongnuo is the lesser unit. The light should be equally good. I have no idea about the functional aspects of it, but I assume the unit works fine. I'd simply be sure to have a backup or two, particularly if you're firing off shots as fast as the flash can recycle.</p>

<p><strong>"The YongNuo YN560 III does pretty much everything the Canon 580EX </strong><strong>can do, "</strong></p>

<p>Except TTL which could be a pretty major downgrade to someone like a wedding shooter.</p>

<p>If it were me photographing a wedding I would get the Canon and that way I know I'll have full compatibility with my camera and I don't have to worry about it failing on me at a very important moment at the wedding. Weddings provide life long memories, don't screw it up buying a cheap alternative.</p>

<p>My experience with Yongnuo flashes leads me to believe that they work just fine but are not built as well as Canon flashes. I found the tilt/rotation to be less secure than the Canons.<br>

<br />On the other hand, my 580EXii was the most problematic flash I ever owned. It doesn't have a great reputation, and mine died after two years, went in to Canon for service, and recently died again. I picked up a 600, which reviewers seem to like better. Hopefully I won't have to send it in after two years.</p>

<p>I use a Yongnuo radio setup. Huge difference from Canons is that it has its own assist light, which I need in the environments I shoot in.</p>

<p>As Daniel points out, the YN-560 has NO ETTL functionality. it is a completely manual flash unit. You couldn't pay me to bring it to a wedding, as, often there is barely time to adjust the camera's settings, much less the flash too! My clients wouldn't appreciate me missing candid shots because I did not have appropriately capable equipment.</p>

<p>That said, I do have 2 YN-565s I've used with a fair amount of reliability and utility. They are a bit more expensive than the 560s, but are also fully ettl capable - and therefore much more appropriate in a wedding environment.</p>

<p>I am, of course, not saying it cannot be done, I am just not willing to make the sacrifices to my output that using a YN-560 would impart.</p>

<p>I own 2 YN560s ii, same flash but without the wireless. Not even close to being a 580exii replacement, or an Canon with ETTL. They are wonderful for manual off camera flash - at those prices, they are almost disposable. I use them with a wireless trigger system; hand held/tripod mounted softbox for portraits or 2 of them with umbrellas for group shots. If budget is the issue, you would be better off buying a 550Ex. Not as feature rich as the 580ex, but has proven to be reliable.</p>

I bought a Yongnuo 568 which is fully comparable with EX580 and will act as Master for my EX430, the problem I've had is that the white

balance struggles terribly in mixed lighting such as tungsten. I'm using a 1DS mk2 and I've never had an issue with other flashes, it works

fine in manual mode but with looks horrible in TTL although I've manually set white balance and it performs ok I'd have reservations about

using it as my primary flash on a job.