Guest of honor taken to hospital mid-event, etiquette?

melanie_g

<p>I was shooting an event, an anniversary party. I had made arrangements with the host (the son of the couple) to be paid at the completion of the party, because the rate we had agreed upon was an hourly fee, and there were some different variables that would determine how long I would actually shoot for.</p>

<p>After 3 hours, a little over halfway through the event, the husband of the celebrating couple suddenly became very ill. He was ultimately taken by ambulance to the hospital. The son understandably followed, and the message that the event was essentially a wrap trickled down to the videographer and I through a couple different people. </p>

<p>So we both concluded our services for the evening and left.I left the message for the son to contact me whenever he had the chance, to please not worry about it but get to me whenever he could. I am unsure about what is proper in this situation - do I tell him not to worry about paying me? Or do I collect for the time I did shoot the party? What is appropriate?<br>

I didn't have the chance to find out what the videographer was planning on doing. </p>

<p>Any advice would be greatly appreciated.</p>

<p>When he contacts you, express your concern for the person who's ill, and ask how he would like to take care of the balance due for the evening. In the future, to give yourself some protection, tell folks you have a minimum and get that up front. Or figure out that you'll be working at least x number of hours, get paid for that in advance, and then settle up the night of, or the next day. Keep it business-like, yet personal. Otherwise, you're working for free.</p>

<p>Sometimes it is not possible to defend against every possibility. Nobody expects the Spanish inquisition as Monty Python says. There are times when ones humanity transcends ones business sense. Find out what happened to the father. If he has recovered just fine, go with what Peter said. </p>

<p>If the poor man died and the family understandably does not want pictures from the event you may want to consider that you are not producing a product and just let it pass. What is three hours balanced against the chance to do a really kind and thoughtful thing. If the family wants product from the event then go ahead and charge your normal hourly rate.</p>

<p>A good rule of thumb is to put yourself in the shoes of the son. What course of action on your part will make him honor and respect you as a professional. You may have to invest three hours in the process but it may pay off in a big way when he calls you againor refers you for Mr. Big's wedding. </p>

<p>Rick - yes. thank you very much. everything you said rings very true to my own personal sense of "right and wrong", so to speak. I think you hit the nail on the head when you asked what would make someone respect you as a professional. Great viewpoint.</p>

<p>I backed up up the images as usual, but I will just hold off on working with them any further until I hear from the client as his own convenience.</p>

<p>Thank you!</p>

<p>In the event of tragedy, vendors having tendered or expended product (flowers, catering ect.) and sometimes paying attending staff can reliably expect to be paid. Vendors, foregoing other work that day, providing hourly services but product later (entertainment not yet performing, photographers ect.) can expect extreme backlash if they seek to be paid. Contractual arrangements for such contingencies won't stop it. Enforcing them will make it worse. Indeed, there will be demands to RETURN money even if duly earned.</p>

<p>Its just the way it is. Value is perceived when received. That's not the legal view in equity. It is a cultural view which wields its own power.</p>

• 4 months later...