Rolleicord V Puerto Rico

<p>Our family visited Puerto Rico for first time earlier this year. My Rolleicord V came along and proved again to be a good travel companion. I like its lightweight, simple use, and "ya, I got it" no worry attitude about capturing the desired image. I've even come to accept the lever shutter release. I really do look forward to enlarging these into 16x20 wall hangers come some rainy day in August. But for now will share a couple of feeble scans from CanoScan 8800f. The beach is in Humacao and the fort is Castillo de San Cristobal. On a separate note, if someone can share with me what I am doing wrong with Photoshop elements and my scan utility that won't allow me to exceed 1200dpi scans due to 'file size exceeds maximum size allowed' when files are only output at 1.2MB, I would appreciate it. Settings go all the way to 9600, but it never lets me go about 1200. cheers!</p><div>00ce6Z-549071584.jpg.f846af86a3f277413788effec25ba03e.jpg</div>

<p>Steve,</p>

<p>Nice image taken with the Rolleicord. The tonal range looks very good despite the resolution issue. Have you checked the scanner manual in regards to the maximum allowed format size? I am not familiar with that scanner, as I use a Canon FS4000US scanner and a Scitex Scanner for my medium format film scanning..<br>

Maybe another photo.net subscriber might have a better answer to your question. Otherwise I love the "Old" Puerto Rico images here.</p>

<p>Steve, do you have a manual for the scanner? It should tell you the maximum allowance you would have for input scanning...<br>

I personally scanned in chromes & negatives at 300DPIU and proofed them out for 11 X 14 prints without any quality issues. Scanning at in my maximum 3750 DPI for the Eversmart Pro II, I had made proofs as large as 20 X 20. I imagine that I can go larger if needed without any degradation in quality.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Excellent Images.. Indeed these will look great on the wall and like the others.. Love Beach and Hammock! Scanners have an optical limit. You mention 1200dpi in your post. A popular size. You generally can scan at greater numbers but these are interpolations. duplicating dots to achieve a bigger size, but not adding any real new optical depth ( I call this smoke and mirrors ) Check the handbook for the optical resolution. I think that some scanner software will limit the file for practical applications. 1200DPI for MF is a pretty big i think I think circa 6-7MB. </p>

<p>Thanks for replies. Will have to send over a file for printing and see how it turns out. File sizes are about 1.5MB each. Everything reads that the software can go higher, but as pointed out perhaps is only interpolation and that is reason for message. I did bring an orange filter with me and believe I used on beach shot. Have a couple more rolls to develop. I still like having a physical image / negative as a souvenir! </p>

<p>Thanks for these, nice to see an exotic location and the weathered concrete in your first shot will make a stunning print.<br>

I scan most of my negs at 1200 but I print in the darkroom so these just end up on line. I know 1200 is overkill for this but I find the scans just look better, especially 35mm.<br>

You may be surprised how well these print, and I would think that with a flatbed, even a good one, is limited in resolution. That is why the big boys use drum scanners. Funny, but on a recent trip I took my compact digi, but found room for an old Rollei Automat...just nice to have them around!</p>

• 4 weeks later...