45mm adapter for Nikon mount

eric_m4

<p>I have a darkroom enlarger lens (135mm) I would like to use as part of a macro set up. The lens does not specify screw thread size on end that screws <em>into</em> enlarger (actually, previous owner had glued lens into enlarger), so I measured it with digital calipers and it measured 45.08mm. There are no screw threads on front of lens so I'm not able to screw on an adapter to that end either. I searched on eBay, amazon,... but I cannot find an adapter of that size to fit my D7000. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks for any help.</p>

This sounds like one of those situations where using a monorail type view-camera body with the lens mounted on one

end and the camera body mounted on the other end. Just look for a view camera that can take a wide angle bellows as

the two standards will be pretty close to each other and that will inhibit movements

On the downside it will be clunky and large.

On the upside such a rig will allow for some movements (rise/fall, shift and both front and rear tilts)

<p>I have two adapters that I use on my D4 one of them is for Pentax screw mount the other is for Leica screw mount. One of them fits most enlarging lenses. Works fine as long as you have the camera on a focusing rail. I also will use it on my PB-4 bellows for even more magnification. </p>

<p>All very helpful suggestions but Mike just reminded me of a youtube video I saw a while back where someone used a can of pringles potato chips as a long extension tube. The can was attached by gluing (or attaching it somehow) to a Nikon camera body cap with a hole in the middle. Not sure how secure body cap will be with that extra weight. I'll try that or some variation of it. If there are any more suggestions just keep it coming. Thanks guys.</p>

<p>The 45(.08)mm diameter doesn't sound far off the inner adapter diameter of a T2 mount. T2 mounts are always in two parts. There's the outer camera bayonet or threaded part, and an inner 42mm female threaded ring that's held into the outer adapter by pinch screws. If you remove that inner ring, then I'll bet you can fit the enlarger lens into the outer part and use pinch screws to retain it in place.</p>

<p>Schneider and Rodenstock were fond of using weird non-standard threads for their enlarging lenses. And TT-H and others used outdated imperial threads. Fortunately, Schneider and Rodenstock supplied adapters to the standard 39mm Leica-fit thread for those lenses with a diameter smaller than 39mm. For larger sizes you'll need a retaining ring (jam nut) to do the job properly. When shopping for old enlarging lenses I now reject any that don't come with a standard thread or with the original retaining ring. The engineering involved simply isn't worth the hassle in most cases.</p>

<p>Hey Rodeo, I removed the inner ring but the T2 mount is not exactly same size - close though. I would geusstimate about 3-4 mm larger. The pinch screws that came with it are smaller than the gap between lens thread and T2, so they wouldn't be able to hold lens in place. But even if I don't have longer pinch screws I still may just glue lens and T2 together. Good call on your part, thanks! But a new problem has arisen. When I hand hold lens up to camera against Nikon T2 mount I have to pull lens away from camera about 5-6 inches and it gives a very magnified view of a subject that is about 3-4 feet away, which is pretty good if I want a close up view of something I want to stay away from such as skittish or stinging insects. When I attach other non-enlarger lenses for macro purposes it's the exact opposite - I have to get <em>much closer</em> to subject. Is this normal for an enlarger lens? I'm I always going to have the lens extended that far away from camera? Thanks again everyone.</p>

<p>Enlarger lenses generally have a longer back focus than lenses designed for SLR cameras, Eric. So it's normal to have to place the lens further away from the camera to get infinity or closer focus, especially with a lens of 135mm focal length. I usually use my enlarging/macro lenses on a bellows unit, and find that an enlarging lens of 105mm is about the longest useful focal length for macro work.</p>