Canon 5D Mark II or Panasonic GH3 at a similar price point?

<p>I am in need of a new camera body, and I have found a 5D Mark II and a GH3 for very similar price points. Which one provides the best of both worlds in stills and video? I am an amateur-intermediate photographer and videographer who is interested in pursuing both as a career in the future.</p>

<p>Sorry in advance if this is in the wrong place, I am new to the site.</p>

<p>I'm afraid you're comparing apples to oranges; namely, a full frame body to one with a much smaller sensor. You don't tell us what kind of subjects you'll be shooting, but with respect to image quality, there's no doubt that the 5DII is the much superior body.</p>

<p>Furthermore, you're not just buying a camera body but also are buying into a camera/lens system. And, although I'm not a professional photographer, I would think that the EOS system is more useful for the professional than the Lumix system.</p>

<p>The 5D2 has a big edge in still quality and video, especially in lower light. And battery life is a lot better in still mode. I personally find the EOS much more ergonomic. However, the GH3 is easier to use for video with excellent contrast focus in video mode and the choice of EVF or LCD while shooting.</p>

<p>Personally, I'd choose the 5D2 over the tiny M4/3 sensor. And the electronic look of the EVF drove me nuts. My context is I own a 5D MKII and am in the process of selling all my Panasonic M4/3 gear. The Panasonic menus and controls surfaces were awkward and slow for me, even after 2 years of practice I couldn't get used to them. On the other hand, I can play my 5D2 like a piano...</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>Video on the GH3 works more like a consumer video camera than the 5D2 and is therefore a better choice for fun/family general video recording. For everything else the 5D2 is superior. Image quality and video quality on the 5D2 is still exceptional, even by today's standards. I've owned mine since they first came out and there is simply no point in upgrading.</p>

<p>B&H has the GH3 <strong>new</strong> for $997/$1097, seems to fluctuate weekly, day of the week. What kind of condition is the 5d2 in for similar price?</p>

<p>What the others have said re lenses you own etc. None of my Canon dslrs shoot video I do use the GH2 and enjoy it for a change of pace, mainly bought it to use the panny 7-14 lens. I also use older Canon FD lenses AND eos lenses on the panny with cheap adapters. No comparison with still images though, my Canon's win in that dept. My weak point is not my equipment, it's my video editing skills, more specifically lack thereof.</p>

<p>You will probably get better answers at sites geared more towards video, ie hv20.com, phillip bloom, etc. Lots of comparison videos on vimeo. Good luck.</p>