D7000 + Nikkor AF 300mm f4 (non afs)

dilom_ski

<p>Hello, <br>

I bought an used Nikkor AF 300mm f4 (non afs) and I just love it.Superb lens, at least for me.Anyways, couple of questions about it:<br>

- Can it stay on the D7000 (laying on the tripod collar, the body is in the air around 2mm from the surface of the table, or whatever it put it on) for longer periods of time, without damaging the bayonet?I know it may be a silly question, but I rather have the lens on the body for a long period now, shooting birds, and not have to remove it every time I am finished with shooting pics.This way I avoid risking dust coming in the back of the lens and on the sensor of the camera.<br>

- Third party 82mm snap caps - are they any good?<br>

Thanks for your time!Have a nice day:)</p>

<p>You never haw to vary about a lens, even big like a canon to hold the camera. The opposite is more valid, you never mount a big lens to the camera and mount the camera to the tripod, instead mounted with the lens tripod collar. You better live the lens on the camera all of the time, instead to remove it all the time if it is not necessary, like, to use a different lens on the camera.<br /> All 300mm f/4 lenses are very good lenses, AF or not AF.<br /> I own several of the 300mm lenses, all of them AI-S. I like the small f/4.5 ED the most, it is the smallest 300mm lens of any 300mm focal length lenses. And it is with a very strong and stable removable tripod collar.</p>

<p>+1 to what Bela said.</p>

<p>I would add to never hold the camera/lens combo by the camera when a big lens is attached. You don't have to worry too much with a 300/4 or 70-200/2.8 as they are not that heavy. The bigger lenses come with their own shoulder strap, a big reminder that is what should be used and not the camera strap.</p>

<p>In regards to the non sf-s 300/4, it's a beautiful lens. Its only limitations are slow AF and the lack of a Nikon AF teleconverter. You have to use a Kenko AF converter which will make AF even slower. I used mine (before I owned the sf-s) with a TC-14b in manual mode, quality was still very good.</p>

<p>Eric, that collar is for the AF-S version, which is physically different; I doubt it works. Plus. I have that tripod collar on my AF-S 300 f/4, and the camera still floats ~2cm in the air - and that's what the OP is asking about.<br>

Either way, lens mounts don't damage that easy. I see no problem with how you'd want to store the lens. But if it's only for the risk of dust - the lenscaps exist for a reason; they do keep dust out. I also wouldn't bother too much about that.</p>

<p>Thanks for the comments.Yes, Wouter I agree with you, I am quick to put the lenscaps on the lens after removing it from the camera.Just want to make sure that is not a problem to have the camera and lens attached for a couple of days, etc, because I think its better than to put/remove the lens everytime I want to shoot some pics.That will be couple of times per day - I live in a city full of seagulls and other birds, that can be seen on my balcony:)</p>

<p>Constantly removing and re-fitting the lens will wear the lens mount and likely do more long-term damage than just leaving the lens in place.</p>

<p>WRT 3rd party 82mm caps: Some of them are a direct copy of the Nikon cap and actually (falsely) say <em>Nikon</em> on the front. Apart from a less refined finish they work just as well and can be bought very cheaply from internet suppliers. Personally I think that Tamron's pinch-style lens caps are slightly more ergonomic than Nikon's, but they're only usually found used or in "rummage bins" at camera stores.</p>