What lens for a fov equal to 50mm lens on a 40D?

mark_stephan2

<p>Nikon and Sony makes a 35 f1.8 lens which approximates the view of a 50mm lens. What are Canon users using to get the fov of 50mm? This comes from a guy who used manual cameras and a 50mm lens for 20+ years. If it matters, I use a 40D. Been shooting with a 50/1.8 mkII lens but the fov= 80mm which is a bit long for a normal lens. Since Canon doesn't have anything in this range should I consider the non IS 28 or 35mm lenses or a third party lens like Sigma 28/1.8? I'd like to keep the cost in the $199 or less range.</p>

<p>A used EF 35/2 is probably closest, or a used Sigma 30/1.4 or 28/1.8, but you'll be very lucky indeed to find one under $200. In fact you'll be lucky to even find one under $300.</p>

<p>Cheap route is an old manual focus 28/2.8 or 35/2.8 lens adapted to canon. Manual focus and stop down metering of course.</p>

<p>If you don't mind slow, there are lots of cheap zooms that cover that range.</p>

<p>28mm => 44.8mm (closest...technically)<br>

35mm => 56mm<br>

40mm => 64mm</p>

<p>Those are your common choices (especially given the budget). Of course the only thing properly in that budget is a 40/2.8 STM. Ideally, you could find a 31.25mm lens which would give you exactly 50mm FOV on your 40D, but good luck finding one for $200 ;)</p>

<p>Of course the actual "normal" view is supposed to be a focal length equal to the diagonal of the format, so for a 34x24mm 35mm camera the actual diagonal would be ~43.267mm.<br /> Thus <em>at the 1.6X factor</em>, a "normal" lens would be ~27.042mm.<br /> However, the actual dimension of an APS-C Canon camera's sensor is something like 22.2x14.8mm so a diagonal of that would be 26.6810794384...mm<br /> If I've done my maths correctly, that is. HOWEVER<br /> In the old rangefinder days, many people preferred 35-40mm lenses on their Leicas, Contaxes, or whatever. Many fixed lens RFs came with only a 40mm or 38mm lens. [Although there were 50mm RF lenses that were widely used, the longer focal length was particularly helpful in clearing the mirror on the early SLRs.]<br /> <br /> In my line of business we have a saying:<br /> "close enough for government work" -- that is anything from more than 20mm to something short of 40mm will be close enough.</p>

<p>Don't worryaboudit.</p>

<p>need I add? <strong>;)</strong></p>

<p>[no engineers were harmed in the making of this post]</p>

<p>The 40mm STM is your best bet, even though it is a slightly narrower angle of view than a 50mm lens on a full-frame camera. The old Canon 28mm is okay, but you'd have to find it second-hand, while the 40mm is really good and can be bought cheaply new. Of course there are plenty of very cheap manual 28mm lenses you can use with an adaptor, like the Olympus 28/3.5 or 28/2.8.</p>

<p>I like the EF 40 2.8 STM on my SL1 as a walk around lens: very sharp at F2.8, at least at center frame, inexpensive and wee as wee gets. For some reason, it misses focus 10-15% of the time on static subjects. I briefly owned the EF 28 2.8 IS USM, bought at Canon Direct as a refurb for $379. It was amazingly sharp across the frame, including corners, wide open on my 6D. However it needed +5 micro adjustment (MA) for optimal sharpness (was front focusing), making it useless on my SL1 since it lacks MA.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>[[For some reason, it misses focus 10-15% of the time on static subjects.]]</p>

<p>I am glad I am not the only one who has seen this with the 40mm. I kept getting OOF shots just infrequently enough that I thought I was doing something wrong.</p>

<p>I use the EF35 F/2 on several APS-C Cameras.<br>

After considering all the options, I am happy with that particular lens for the purposes of: light weight, reasonably inexpensive, small, reasonably fast (aperture) "Normal Prime Lens". Note that when I bought my 35/2 the 40mm lens had not been released, but I have no requirement to replace my 35/2 with the EF40 F/2.8 STM at this time.</p>

<p><a href="/photodb/folder?folder_id=990381">Extracts of a field test when used on a EOS 5D </a>(tested on a 'full frame camera' to show area of vignette, etc) <br>

<a href="/photodb/folder?folder_id=937138%20">Sample images when used on various APS-C Cameras</a><br>

<br>

WW</p>