Looking for DIY SQ-AI battery holder solution or an equivalent

jmcneil

<p>I've lost the battery holder for my SQ-Ai. I've read what seems to be the few threads about this posted here. I saw the DIY solutions and those appealed to me. Has anyone confirmed that they work? Can I really solder the contacts to the batteries and BAM problem solved? If someone has tried this and would care to elaborate about their success/failure that would be awesome.<br /> <br /> I've already done my homework looking for a replacement part. I've plundered eBay, called Tamron, talked to Frank and Jimmy at KOH and have considered purchasing a junk body from KEH. No luck. Except with KEH, which I'd prefer to avoid since it's the most expensive option.<br /> <br /> I've also heard you could get the motor drive and bypass the camera's dedicated battery system. Are there other options? The motor drive sounds bulky. A battery pack perhaps? I've never seen one, so if anyone can point me in the right direction... again scouring eBay might work, if I knew what I was looking for.<br>

Does anyone care to part with theirs? :D<br /> <br /> Any suggestions would be helpful. I want to get back to shooting. <br /> <br /> Thank you,<br /> J.</p>

<p>Looks like the DIY hacks are about it and there seem to be q few around. Soldering wires to the batteries isn't a plan. One of the many reasons I like my SQ-B: the single 6v SR-44 which might be worth playing around with on your SQ-Ai.</p>

If you use the motorized drive, you don't need batteries in the camera, Also, the grip on the motorized drive makes it

easier to hold the camera if you use the metered prism finder instead of the waist-level finder.

<p>"<em>Care to share your resources on hacks? I might know about them, but here's to the chance you've found something different</em>."</p>

<p>Google simply turned up some solutions under "Bronica SQ-Ai battery holder." The single 6v battery might be easier than Mickey Mousing something to hold 4 1.5v cells. Don't have an Ai so I've no clue how the +/- contacts are set up.</p>

<p>C Watson,<br>

It's funny how the best solution is often the most obvious. I've Googled DIY solutions, but never just battery holder itself. Bah, silly me. Thanks. :)<br /><br />If I find something that works, I'll post it here.</p>

<p><em>"If you've missed it, this site has some useful stuff on the SQ system:</em><br>

<em><a href="http://www.ayton.id.au/gary/photo/photo_BronicaSQ.htm" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://www.ayton.id.au/gary/photo/photo_BronicaSQ.htm"</a></em></p>

<p>I'll check it out.<br>

So I tested the cardboard solution. I've got the camera working, tested it on several settings and it's clear that it's only working at one shutter speed. My guess is 1/250. Which is what I was afraid of.<br>

Back to the drawing board.</p>

<p><em>"The good people at <a href="http://www.tamron-usa.com/contact/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">Tamron USA</a> were able to provide me with a replacement."</em></p>

<p>Unfortunately they no longer carry parts. They do repairs, but they assured me they didn't have this in stock anymore. So don't loose it again! :O<br>

They referred me to Koh's, but they're on vacation til June 9th. I'll check back but directly calling Frank Marshman didn't work out either.<br>

Seems like the older these get, the tougher it's going to be to get parts.<br>

I'm tempted to build the part via 3D printing. I've got a friend who has one. If anyone would be willing to post pictures of it on a centimeter grid, I'd be most appreciative.<br>

I'll even post the part online so others can download it and get it replaced if they need it.</p>

<p>Good news. I took my camera to a friend who is a bit of a gadget guru. We tested the camera thoroughly and discoed that the cardboard solution actually worked! </p>

<p>The SQ-Ai is now fully functioning. I'm thrilled. Thank you guys for your help. </p>

<p>-J.</p>

<p><em> No idea why Bronica opted for the 4 battery solution over the single 6v.</em><br>

<em>I believe this was as a result of the introduction of the SQAi, which needed additional electronics to accomodate TTL flash metering. To save space they used four separate 1.5v cells rather than a single 4.5v.</em></p>