Leica black

jae_lee7

<p>It is one of the screwmount models, hard to tell for sure exactly which one, as all of the parts aren't photographed, and lots of times over the years pieces of one were used in repairs of another. The paint job is terrible, probably done by an amateur, which significantly reduces its value. Not enough info to make a guess on value, for instance what is its working condition, shutter speeds accurate, covering intact, any scratches, wear marks, etc. in the finish? Is the viewfinder/rangefinder clear without haze, dirt, fungus. Are the shutter curtains in good shape without pinholes or weak spots? What about the lens, does everything move smoothly, are the elements clear without haze, cleaning marks, dust, fungus, or scratches? If I was considering purchase from what info I can see and what is given, I'd pay no more than $50 USD, assuming I'd need to get the body and lens CLA'd, possibly the body recovered, etc.</p>

<p>If everything was clean, worked, etc. it might fetch $4-500 at most, given the paint job.</p>

<p>The lens is a Summar 50mm f/2.0 lens. Value of the Summar depends VERY MUCH on condition. The front element is very soft "flint" (lead crystal) glass, and is often scratched to hell by obsessive or inappropriate cleaning. A Summar can go for $50 to $300, depending on condition.</p>

This indeed is a Leica II, Model D. I have one myself, although an earlier serial number. Everything you've read above is

essentially correct, however, the paint job appears to be original and genuine, exactly as my example is. It was made in

the 30s after all! :)

<p>Yes, Leica II & Summar. As far as I know the original black was baked enamel & is unaffected by acetone. I have a 1932 model which is proof against acetone. Early ones were all nickel, but if this is 1936, I suppose all bits might be chrome. Does anybody know?<br>

It's an important model, the first with coupled rangefinder to work on a series of lenses from 35mm to 135mm, later 28mm.</p>