Mamiya 645-AFD III vs. Pentax 645D

hjoseph7

<p>Pentax finally came out with their Medium Format Digital version of the 645N the 645D. Mamiya has been running for a while with their Digital Medium Format camera. I read the impressive specs for both and although I am just window shopping, I'm not sure which way I would go if I had the money. If you had a choice which one would you buy ? <br /> A used Mamiya 645-AFD III is currently selling for only $1700 with a film insert and 80mm f2.8 lens. (Please no stories about being a loyal Pentax owner since the 1950's.)</p>

<p>The Pentax is now entering its second generation, with the new 645Z replacing the 645D, which may now come at attractive used prices. Also I understand the Mamiya is now sold only under the Phase name.<br>

Consider the advantages and disadvantages of having a removable back, as there are good arguments both ways.<br>

Doug</p>

As Doug indicated, Pentax introduced its first (quasi-) medium format digital camera, the 645D, years ago, and recently

replaced it with the CMOS-sensored 645Z. Both are bodies without removable backs, and both have roughly 44x33mm

sensors, which are arguably on the small side for medium format. But buy either body and a lens and you're ready to

shoot digital medium format.

The Mamiya 645 AF-D IIII is a somewhat older model that takes removable backs--and needs a separate digital back to

take digital pictures. That $1700 obviously does not get you the expensive part, the digital back. The Mamiya may well be

able to use anything from the latest 80 MP / 54x40mm sensor back to an ancient 6 MP / 36x24mm back. IIRC that

particular Mamiya will also take film backs, but the newer ones will not.

As to which to get, if it was for use in any harsh or semi-harsh environments, the Pentax cameras' all-in-one construction

(and maybe some degree of weather-sealing?) would be very appealing. Otherwise, the Mamiya system is much larger

and more flexible. (Disclosure: I have a Mamiya 645 film system.)

<p>With Pentax, you buy a body with a non-removable digital sensor - a Kodak CCD in the 645D and a Sony CMOS in the new 645Z. Kodak CCDs are renowned for their low to mid ISO colour response, while the Sony CMOS has amazingly low noise in high ISO and long exposure scenarios, somewhat higher dynamic range, and also supports live view and video. Take your pick according to your requirements. There is some current debate on image quality, along the lines that the 645Z ticks all the technical boxes while the 645D with its "CCD look" ticks more aesthetic ones.</p>

<p>With Mamiya, other than the ZD body which was the first medium format SLR with a non-removable digital sensor, you buy a body which takes interchangeable backs. You don't need to fork out for a Mamiya 645AFD III to shoot digitally, BTW - the 645AFD and 645AFD II work just as well, and for a couple of really old backs, even the 645AF (non-D). I use a 645AFD.</p>

<p>Dave is correct that the 645AFD III is the last/newest Mamiya to take both film and digital backs. Phase One took the decision to make the more recent 645DF and 645DF+ compatible only with digital backs.</p>

<p>As digital medium format goes, both Pentaxes are "bargains" in a relative sense, and if your lens requirements are not too fancy, I'd recommend them over the alternatives. I stay with Mamiya however because there's nothing in the Pentax lens lineup to correspond to must-haves like my 24/4 fisheye, 80/1.9, 200/2.8 APO...</p>