Monday in Nature Weekly Photo June 2, 2014

Laura Weishaupt

<p>By early June, the path of the sun migrates sufficiently north so that, viewed from our local beach, it no longer sets behind a flat Pacific Ocean, but behind a body of land which I believe is the end of the Point Reyes peninsula. I discovered this two years ago when I rushed after work to capture the final seconds of the sunset with Venus in transit.</p>

<p> </p><div>00ccfa-548789984.jpg.a11ef9daf703dd8b9e7717961b76a244.jpg</div>

<p>Paul, hmmm, bugs on fence.........check. ;-)<br>

Siegfried, that's a cool orchid. <br>

Rodger, WOW, what an amazing scene. <br>

Rick, I would expect your woods to be exploding in Russulas now. They are parrots of the fungal world, coming in an array of bright colors and many sizes. More shades of red than a box of crayons.</p>

<p>Walking around in the Joshua Tree National Park, we came across this little guy. It was fallen from the tree on to the needle sharp Yucca leaves. Could not move at all, I helped him. He has only small laceration on the side of the belly. As soon as I release him he run back onto the tree. Up in the safety. For how long...?<br>

http://www.alpiner.net/FUN/Nature-Walks/Around-Joshua-Trees/i-GwJSmWJ/A</p><div>00cckY-548811784.jpg.ebf1c8c26dbcc3610b2dfcd4f5983f31.jpg</div>