help with histogram

<p>What makes you think you need to "fix it"? Sure, the image that produced your histogram has a preponderance of very dark and very light tones with few in the middle, but if the image itself looks good and serves your purpose, that's all that matters. </p>

<p>For example, here's an image of some slightly out of focus black and white text and the associated histogram. Other than wishing it was a bit more in focus, I don't see any need to make tonal corrections.</p>

<p>Tom M</p><div>00cpBZ-551063984.jpg.7ccb90fd510228ed25294a3990cfd594.jpg</div>

<p>Everything you thought you wanted to know about Histograms</p>

<p>Another exhaustive 40 minute video examining: </p>

<p>What are histograms. In Photoshop, ACR, Lightroom.<br>

Histograms: clipping color and tones, color spaces and color gamut.<br>

Histogram and Photoshop’s Level’s command.<br>

Histograms don’t tell us our images are good (examples).<br>

Misconceptions about histograms. How they lie.<br>

Histograms and Expose To The Right (ETTR).<br>

Are histograms useful and if so, how? </p>

<p>Low rez (YouTube):

High rez: http://digitaldog.net/files/Histogram_Video.mov</p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<p>A histogram is just like counting letters in a book, and then make a diagram that shows how many A's there was, B's, C's and so on. A, B, C etc. along the horizontal axis, count along the vertical axis. A histogram can say nothing about what story the book tells, or how good it is.</p>

<p>The same goes for picture histograms. It counts how many pixels there are of each brightness, but nothing about the story the picture tells or how good the picture is.</p>

<p>However it can be used as a rough guide for deciding correct exposure. Look upon it as an advanced light meter, showing you how much there is of each brightness in the picture. If the histogram is cut of abruptly in either end you _might_ have lost detail in important highlights or shadows (up to you to decide what is important).</p>

<p>Usually I use the histogram to see if I have blown any highlights in the picture. It won't say which highlights was burnt, only whether or not any highlights was burnt.</p>

<p>Hope this could be of any help.</p>

<p>Frode</p>

<p>Sorry I didn't notice that you already had posted that link.</p>

<p>I haven't seen the whole video yet, but I have seen enough that I understand what you meant in your comment. And I have also seen enough to to want to look through the whole video later on. I haven't elaborated on those various histogram types before and what they will show me. Think I'm going to learn something new now! Thank you. ;-)</p>