Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

<blockquote>

<p>D900 1/125s ISO 800 with Nikon 24-70 @ f/16</p>

</blockquote>

<blockquote>

<p>Mary, interesting shot - but D900?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Mary is testing a pre-production unit of the up-coming 54MP D900 under non-disclosure agreement. Carelessly, she let the cat out of the bag. :-)</p>

<p>My image: Nikon D7100 with 300mm/f2.8 AF-S @ f2.8.</p><div>00cjkd-550119884.jpg.c746a5fd2d21ee7b03d82ac3e75faf55.jpg</div>

<blockquote>

<blockquote>

<p>Mary is testing a pre-production unit of the up-coming 54MP D900 under non-disclosure agreement. Carelessly, she let the cat out of the bag. :-)</p>

</blockquote>

</blockquote>

<p>Thanks, Shun - 'nough said. I had no idea...</p>

<p>Believe this is called a 22° halo; it forms as sunlight is refracted in millions of randomly oriented hexagonal ice crystals suspended in the atmosphere.<br>

7-image HDR - +/- 3EV appeared necessary to retain detail both in the highlights and the shadows (doubt that even a D810 at ISO 64 would get away with less than +/-2?) processed to keep things natural.<br /></p><div>00cjlG-550121684.jpg.a5b81c91f5214334710b4cc87068de4b.jpg</div>

<blockquote>

</blockquote>

<p>Oh do I have a D900? Sorry for letting the cat out of the bag! ;)</p>

<p>OK, here's one with the real D800, hot off the press from my garden this morning. This lily just started to bloom - and they call it "Easter" Lily? Seriously? Oh well, this is what they get if they keep labeling flowers with painful names such as "Lilium longiflorum".</p>

<p> </p><div>00cjlP-550122084.jpg.3614aacd8148605cf006fce2774926ba.jpg</div>

<p>Dieter, that phenomenon is often called a Sun Dog, which is also the title of one of Stephen King's creepiest short stories - and photography related. It's about a mad dog that inexplicably shows up in photos taken with a Polaroid Sun, and gets closer to escaping into the real world with each exposure.</p>

<p>Beautifully simple shot Dieter, and an atmospheric effect I've never witnessed or heard of before.<br>

My shots are from our local annual Jazz and Blues festival. First one is of ace blues/folk/ragtime guitarist and singer-songwriter Dave Peabody. Taken while duetting with Boogie pianist Bob Hall.<br>

Camera D700; lens 105mm f/1.8 Ai-S Nikkor @ f/2.8 and 1/200th, ISO 1600. I cheated slightly and airbrushed an ugly fruit machine out of the right hand side of the image.</p><div>00cjmw-550126584.JPG.68ea0e9c4b6a62a247b4d77b644622ef.JPG</div>

<p>Here's Dave's duetting partner Bob Hall; founder Groundhogs member and superb boogie pianist.</p>

<p>I thought I'd chosen the wrong lens for the gig, since the 105mm proved a bit long for where I was forced to shoot from. However it handled the backlighting wonderfully well.<br>

Same camera, lens and exposure data as above </p><div>00cjmz-550126684.JPG.70c46a1ccacccd7295cefadef22669f9.JPG</div>

<blockquote>

<p>that phenomenon is often called a Sun Dog</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Lex, the 22° halo and sun dogs often appear together; the halo is created by randomly oriented ice crystals, the sun dogs result from crystals that are vertically aligned, resulting in a horizontal refraction. Thus, sun dogs (also called mock suns) are bright spots that appear on either side of the sun and always at the same elevation and at the same angular distance as the 22° halo - I couldn't see them on this halo though. <a href="/nikon-camera-forum/%20http:/hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/atmos/halo22.html">http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/atmos/halo22.html</a></p>

<blockquote>

<p>an atmospheric effect I've never witnessed or heard of before</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Wikipedia claims it can be witnessed 100 days per year - but I can't recall having seen such a halo before.</p>

<p>Just got back from the post office with my new Sigma 35mm f1.4. <br>

(Matt, Sigma owes you a commission). This is the first 3rd party lens I've purchased since the 70's. (That one was a Vivitar zoom coupled to a Minolta).<br>

Here is a quick test shot before the sun disappeared.</p><div>00cjoI-550129584.jpg.d65b20141129de540c1ee638401a7334.jpg</div>