5dm2+7d+4Primes.. Am i ready to go for Wedding?

demir_kaya

<p>Hi there.. i am crious about if am i ready or not for a wedding..<br>

i am approx 12 year in a hobby photographer. love to use primes. know lots of things about flashes etc. BUT in a planned position.. i done outdoor shooting with flashes with 60*60 softbox.. i am fairly good at ps.. i can call myself expert with my new tool wacom pro intodus.. <br>

i can give life the dead photos.. but i dont want to take dead photos :) <br>

i have 4 flash. 1 canon and 3 youngnuo.. i can sync them and know how to control them.. <br>

but my problem is about primes.. <br>

i have<br>

rokinon 14mm f:2.8<br>

canon 24mm f:2.8<br>

canon 50mm f:1.4<br>

canon 85mm f:1.8<br>

canon 5dm2 as a prime. with grip.. <br />7d as a second and unwanted senarios..</p>

<p><br />2 tripod one x055 pro and one small but useful light one. (think to use light one in case a long exp..)<br>

i think to go with one 60*60 softbox and 2 flashes on it with an assitant (my bro :) to cary around to light in a bad situation. <br>

and have 3 reflektor <br>

60cm<br>

80cm<br>

100*150 cm.</p>

<p>so am i buy a zoom lens? <br>

or go with 200 or 135 f:2 another prime? </p>

<p>i have budget but want to buy a lens which is build for wedding.. <br>

70-200 f:4 is on my list.. maybe cheap non is ver.. ( i am good at bad light situation with my flashes.. i dont think to use is but who knows:)<br>

dont want to buy f:2.8 version. i had one and i dont like it. at 200 with 2.8 is useless i think.. <br>

but i also consider tamro 70-200 F:2.8 vc..</p>

<p>so what is your opinion about this situation? </p>

<p>which lens you will buy if you are in my shoes?</p>

<p>thanks. the wedding is appx 10 days ahead.. :)</p>

<p>Well, perhaps after this wedding you'll be ready for one. You can track the lenses you like most...so it will be easier next time. In the mean time you need to be ready for most situations. It would help if you had a macro. Actually, it would be good to have a zoom that would take you to 150, such as Sigma 50-150/2.8...some say that 70-200 would be handy. Also, you probably would get more out of 30-35mm lens vs having the 14mm....unless you really like the WA.</p>

<p>Anyway, whatever you need (additionally) I'd rent it...and make sure you have enough time to take some tests & photos so you're not trying to figure things out during the wedding. Additionally, you could rent a set of extension tubes, which you could create a "pseudo-macro"....combined your 85mm.</p>

<p>Les</p>

<p> </p>

<p>"so am i buy a zoom lens? ... or go with 200 or 135 f:2 another prime?"</p>

<p>Personally I'd go w/ a 70-200/2.8 (of one variety or another). But a 135/2 is a marvelous lens. I don't see much advantage to a 200/2.8 vs a 70-200/2.8 since the zooms are very nearly as good (even WO) for wedding duties, but have the added advantage of 70-199mm. Not sure why you'd even consider a 200/2.8 if you found the 70-200/2.8 'useless' @ 200mm f2.8? That really doesn't make sense unless you had a bad copy of a 70-200/2.8.</p>

<p>The suggestion of a 50-150/2.8 would be good for APS-C only kits, but not for a dual format kit.</p>

<p>At least the 135/2 gives you a tangible improvement in capability, albeit @ 135mm (& at 216mm - when crop mounted). </p>

<p>In fact, given your dual format kit, if you are extremely fast on the lens changes (& lens juggling), plus are willing to carry and manage both cameras the entire day, and keep your bag with you the entire time (so you have constant access to all your primes), there's no reason that simply adding a 135/2 wouldn't cover your range adequately.</p>

<p>However, I think you are ignoring a huge issue in shooting a wedding w/ primes - one complicated by using a dual format kit. To effectively capture imagery in a dynamic environment, you have to be extremely skilled at knowing, at a glance, both what focal length you'll need, and what format to mount it on. You'll need to be able to dig out a lens, and mount it on the right camera the FIRST time, and do so in a few seconds. Frankly, I think you are overcomplicating things, and that will get you into deep water the day of.</p>

<p>Of course, in the time it's taken you to do that, I've already captured the shot I visualized (w/ my zoom) and moved on to capture several more by changing my framing, and moving to isolate/highlight different parts of the scene. I'm not saying a wedding can't be done, and done extremely well by a skilled (and experienced) wedding photog using only primes, but a novice wedding shooter is far far far better off learning with a few zooms and a fast prime or two.</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>"To effectively capture imagery in a dynamic environment, you have to be extremely skilled at knowing, at a glance, both what focal length you'll need, and what format to mount it on. . . Frankly, <strong>I think you are overcomplicating things.</strong>"</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>+1</p>

<p>As advice to someone new to the game, I suggest that you look at buying a Zoom Lens to be used for taking the majority of the shots.</p>

<p>As the 5DMkII is the main working camera, then lenses such as the EF 24 to 70/2.8 L USM (either version) or the EF 24 to 105 F/4 L IS USM, would be the three Canon lenses I suggest to you.</p>

<p>However, if you are determined to use only Prime Lenses for Wedding Coverages, then I would choose the EF135 F/2 L USM and also work toward buying the x1.4MkII (or MkIII) EF Extender.</p>

<p>In any case, for me, I would buy the 135/2L Prime Lens and the x1.4 Extender for a Dual Format Wedding Kit, before buying any one of the 70 to 200L Zoom Lenses. </p>

<p>WW</p>

<p>Thanks for the quick reply..<br>

as i worked only primes nearly last 5 years i am getting use to it. but the problem is not in a wedding time.. i know it would be cost some problem to not have a zoom lens.. <br>

because of that i am now consider to but 70-200 f:4 non is.. <br />for quick poses.. it is not very expensive.. and i buy this cheap stuff to see myself if i am capable of using it.. <br>

i dont know why but i really cant deal with the zooms.. their optical quality is not satisfy me.. maybe i just too overreacted.. </p>

<p>and one 35 f:1.4L (always want one :) probably after the wedding.. <br>

the rent is not a choice. our country is not big as yours:) </p>

<p>or sell the 24mm.. buy 24-70 f:2.8 <br>

sell the 85mm.. buy 135 f:2 L </p>

<p>14mm <br>

24-70<br>

50mm<br>

135mm<br>

and maybe put 135mm in crop to find more range? <br>

i am not a too tele man. i want to be in the place :)</p>

<p> </p>

<p>What about Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 EX DC APO OS HSM on FF..<br>

i think this is very good coverage from my side.. it is better than 70-200 i think.. but nobody write anything about it.. <br>

50 is perfect and finish at the 150 is not a problem for me? <br>

so here is my idea.. <br>

70-200 f:4L non is or Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 EX DC APO OS HSM? <br>

or tamron 24-70 vc ??</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>"What about Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 EX DC APO OS HSM on FF"</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That is a "DC" Series Lens. All Sigma "DC" Lenses have an IMAGE CIRCLE to suit and APS-C Format camera (such as the 7D). When mounted and used on your 5D, it will most probably OPTICALLY VIGNETTE (Dark / Black Edges around the outside of the image).</p>

<p>WW</p>

<p>Let me suggest you second shoot for an experienced wedding photographer WITH YOUR CURRENT GEAR before buying new stuff. I use my 70-200mm about 5% of the time, it's not a must have. Other people use it 95% of the time. But buying one just because you heard other people use them without knowing if it matches your style of shooting is putting the cart in front of the horse if you ask me.</p>

<p>The problem is in my hometown really there is no good quality photographer.. i am not kidding..<br>

i know much more thing about photography than so-called photographer in our town.. they are 18-200 type photographer unfortunately.. <br>

and this is not with price.. they are my friend. and i also want to make a portfolyo about wedding.. <br>

because of that i am now too much away from my safestudio :) </p>

<p>i am happy with the primes.. <br>

but want to try one 70-200.. maybe i like it. if i am not it is easy to sell again i think.. </p>

<p>we will see :)<br>

thanks the weedding is next week.. i will share my result.. </p>

<p>I noticed a lot of this is about gear, and of course that's very important and really the gear you chose has everything to do with your style and goals... As far as being ready for a wedding and asking others whats the best thing that's a hard answer... I ave been documenting them for many years now, its the primary work for my business. So I would like to add some insight. <br>

You are as ready as you will ever be! Weddings are a form of photography that you cant ever really be "ready for". Its something you learn as you do them, your style will grow as you do more. And then you will know what equipment you need or don't need. There is so much difference from wedding to wedding, lighting, personalities of the guests and wedding party, theme of the wedding, locations, etc... Until you find out what you like to do in those situations, you will only be as ready as your last wedding. And right now that's none. </p>

<p>So last, make sure you do expectation management, be sure to inform the couple that this is new to you and they need to be prepared for you to have time to think of what you would like to do. Its not going to be natural right away so if your clear about this they wont think you look unprofessional when you say give me a moment to consider the situation. And as you do more weddings these situations will become less and less as they fit your style. You may pull out a 35mm where I would use 135... So really my only suggestion for equipment, have two of everything and make sure its fast and good in low light. </p>