Hasselblad film backs - A12 manual focus?

RaymondC

<p>Hi, I was just browsing on the web - if one is looking at a 500CM - how are the A12 manual focus like? Or would you suggest a newer one for the better condition they are in - with the electronic connections. The 500CM doesn't have electrical connections anyway right?</p>

<p>Also what is your view with C T* lenses vs CF T*? </p>

<p>Cheers/</p>

<p>Hello Ray,<br>

The A12 film backs are exactly what you need for the 500cm. The C12 backs are the oldest and have a peep hole in the rear for you to line up the film. The A12 was the next model and were called such until they quit manufacturing them. The backs that you're talking about with the electronic connections are the E series backs such as E12, E16, E32, etc.<br /><br />Those electronic contacts are utterly useless with the 500cm and since those E12 backs typically sell for more money there is no reason for you to spend the extra money.<br /><br />The newest A12 backs will have the factory dark slide holder on the rear of the magazine. Any A12 magazine will work for you. It will boil down to age and condition which will dictate the price.<br /><br />You can look at the date code on the magazine. You should see a number such as RP 3241073. The date coding for Hasselblad products is VHPICTURES = 1234567890 whereas V=1, H=2, and so on. So look at the letters only in the serial numbers and you can date the item. In my example the magazine would have been manufactured in R=8 and P=3 so 1983. Also, you should check to see if the serial number code on the insert matches the casing number. In my example the insert number would be 073 because they only put the last three serial number digits on most of the magazines. The older magazines will have complete serial numbers on both the casing as well as the insert.<br /><br />A great website which can load you up with information about such things can be found here: <a href="http://www.hasselbladhistorical.eu/">http://www.hasselbladhistorical.eu/</a><br /><br />So in summary - no need for the E series magazines. My suggestion is to get an 80's or 90's model A12 and let it fly. Just ask the seller if the insert # matches the casing number, if there are no spacing problems, and if the light traps are good with no light leaks. If so - price will be relative to cosmetics.<br /><br />There are many threads here using the search function relative to the C lenses vs. the CF but a quick note on that is that the C lenses are fabulous. Well worth what you pay for them these days. But the CF's get the nod more because they no longer make parts for the C lenses. The only parts left are the ones the repair guys have hoarded or being sold on the used market. Some repair guys still have quite a stockpile of parts so it's not the end of the world for C lenses as of yet but you get the idea. Both models are superb and you will do well with either.</p>

<p>I am actually outside the USA so I have looked at keh.com, not much of these stuff in my own country.</p>

<p>Sorry - I checked. The back was called just "12" without a letter prefix. They won't work right? <br /> Just to doubel check - a 500CM body would have the rewind knob right? I don't need the crank.<br>

With the WLF - much a need to consider a late model?</p>

<p>Many thanks, cheers.</p>