Bursting into Prominents

<p>Wow.<br /> Impressed.<br /> But I won't be tempted, I won't be tempted, .....</p>

<p>As for</p>

<blockquote>

<p>now persona non grata, evidently because his exuberance exceeded the allowed boundaries</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I am curious as to where I, personally, have gone wrong. I've been exuberant, but only temporarily banned from some forums...</p>

<p>Thanks for the responses! The Prominents certainly display well, with the quality of construction and finish shining through. I think you said it all and put it very well, <strong>Bela</strong>; engaging with any fine mechanical device brings pleasure to many of us, and cameras are a good example of these. And yes, I drive a car with manual shift, and love driving it through a mountain road where<em> I</em> call the shots on the gear changes... <strong>JDM</strong>, remember Groucho's quip, "I don't care to belong to any club that will have me as a member"... I can't speak for the 35mm lenses, <strong>Bruce</strong>, as I'm currently on the lookout for one of these and the Turnit finder, but the 100mm Dynaron is truly excellent. Pics No.'s 3,4 and 5 are from this lens. I used a generic turret finder to frame the images, more or less.</p>

<p><strong>Cory</strong>, the lenses are stand-alone individual units, as opposed to the Contaflex system which replaces only the front group of elements. And thank you <strong>Mike</strong>, <strong>Steve</strong> and <strong>Brian</strong>, I'm pleased you enjoyed the post.</p>

<p>Rick, is there an Ultron equivalent that would work on a non AI Nikon or Yashica or Pentax mount? I really like the clarity of the (of course you had a lot to do with it) images and if I could get a similar lens it would be fun to try on both one of the above and a digital camera.</p>

<p><strong>Randy</strong>, I don't know of any adapter that would allow a direct connection as there is no focus adjustment on the Prominent lenses,and that's just for a start. I have seen photographs of a Prominent Ultron mounted on a Nex via a Prominent/Leica adapter with focus ability, but we're talking serious money. So you can go to Canon or Nikon, I guess, with this adapter and the appropriate L39 adapter.The later 50mm f/1.8 Color Ultron was made in a variety of mounts including M42, but here the money gets even more serious. And, of course, the 100mm qnd 150mm lenses use a totally different mount... Thanks for the tip, <strong>Chauncey</strong>; just what are you trying to do to my bank account! Thanks <strong>Kris</strong>; I thought Gabor might have surfaced, by now.</p>

<p>Randy,</p>

<p>Actually you can get a Prominent -> Sony NEX adapter for about $165, the product name is "Yeenon VOIGTLANDER Prominent to SONY NEX E-MOUNT Helicoid Adapter" and it is listed on ebay. I bought one and am very happy with the results on my NEX mirrorless cameras. And you can find some images taken with this combo here:<br>

<br>

<a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/blee1996/tags/prominent/">https://www.flickr.com/photos/blee1996/tags/prominent/</a></p>

<p>Hi Rick,<br>

thanks for sharing these images, even though it has only increased my desire for a Prominent. They are such incredibly beautiful things. I have been contemplating acquiring some Contax kit, (I fancy a Contax II) but, maybe I won't, now. I just can't believe how good the results are from the Prominent. I think I might have commented on the tree shot you posted on Flickr (April Afternoon)? In any case, it's superb, and the detail in those bare branches is phenomenal. I'm not sure the ergonomics would bother me too much, I'm comfortable with any of the Contaflex models and have been using an Exakta lots recently. Despite their unique ergonomics, I reckon I could work with a Prominent. Yours are simply gorgeous--I am so jealous!<br />Best,<br />Brett</p>

<p>I hope you find your Prominent,<strong> Brett</strong>, and thanks for the compliments. I spotted your Flickr comment; the tree photographs are technically impressive, I agree. I'm sure one could easily get comfortable with the Prominents if they were one's everyday camera, and after an Exakta anything becomes easy!</p>

<p>Of course, some of us left-eyed folks might actually <em>appreciate</em> a camera with the finder window on the right end. Of course, I'm long since accustomed to just using my nose as a "camera brace." Also leaving horrible nose grease all over the back of every camera...</p>

<p>Late post Rick, but I have just spent 10 days in Tassie...in Winter! This post really grabbed me when I saw it, as the Prominent was my very first "collector" camera.<br>

Bought it of the original owner, a fine French gentleman who purchased it in Djibouti (sp) in the early fifties. The Prominent then is responsible for all that stuff that fills my spare room!<br>

I really caught the Voigtlander bug, the rest just sort of followed...you know exactly what I mean...<br>

You have really excelled with the "product" photos, and I reckon that all our regular CC readers will be looking for a nice Prominent!<br>

Totally agree about the ergonomics, and the build quality...just superb. As for the lenses, they are as good as you would expect from Voigtlander. I am lucky enough to have both the Ultron and the Nokton, plus the 35 and 100mm lenses. The Nokton was a bit of a revelation in it's day, but is a bit soft wide open compared to say a later Summilux. Still a wonderful optic, and much in demand by collectors, especially in LTM. The Ultron as you say, is just plain great everywhere, and really is the pick for regular photography.<br>

Just love your first pic, just has a great look to it...these lenses just love B&W. The following colour pics also prove that you are not restricted to mono. A really good thing about these lenses is that they seem to do both extremely well.<br>

Look forward to seeing more from your wonderful gift,and you can tell your generous Yank that I discovered a wonderful single malt in the highlands of Tasmania :)</p>

<p>Thanks, <strong>Tony</strong>; Tassie was where I first discovered Cascade Stout, and that's one of the many reasons I'd like to return. After all, it's just like NZ. A decent single malt makes it even more attractive. I've just acquired a Turnit Mk.III viewfinder, and the hunt is on for a Skoparon, at a bargain-basement price, of course... And then I'll stop, won't I.... Pleased you liked the pics; I wonder just what makes these lenses so great at B&W, a feature I'd also observed.</p>

<p>Wonderful results. Love the contrast shot although they are all superb. Have two of these babies myself with the Voigtlander turn-it accessory. My 3.5cm skoparex and the 100mm are fine, but my ultron has fungus :-(, but surprisingly it does not affect results.</p>

<p>Thanks for posting Rick.</p>

<p>Yes Rick, never made it to Cascade, but we did fit in a couple of wineries. Technically I don't know why these older German lenses seem so good at B&W while still producing great colour, but I'm sure there is a reason. Similar applies to Zeiss and Leica, and a couple of the really old Nikkors.<br>

The Turnit finders are really excellent, as are those lens hoods...possibly the nicest hoods ever made! I also have a couple of the Proximeters, tricky to do close ups with, but they do look really cool.</p>