Wisner cameras

eric_m4

<p>Getting back into Large Format after many years away. Back then Wisner cameras seemed very popular and well talked about. I believe Ron Wisner (not positive but pretty sure he was owner of Wisner cameras) was a regular contributor to <em>View Camera</em> Magazine. Anyway, I recently went on ebay to see about picking up a used one and this page came up:<br>

http://www.ebay.com/gds/WISNER-CAMERAS-/10000000001422107/g.html</p>

<p>Not sure what happened in last few years but it seems like there's not that much Wisner gear out there. Since Wisner was a popular name in LF I would think there would be plenty of them on used market. Are Wisner cameras poor quality products or did collectors snatch them up or what?</p>

Back when they were new and I was looking fod a folding field camera to supplement my Arca-Swiss 45 F, I tried several

cameras : Canham, Ebony, Phillips, and Wisner.

I ended up with the Canham. The Ebony was great too butting complexity made it closer to the Arca-Swiss monorail and I

liked the clean design, operational feel and functionality of the Canham s I bought the Canham. My recollection is that

the Wisner was kind of like a tarted up Zone VI or Deardorff with a higher price tag than the Zone VI and a less solid feel

than a fifty or sixty year old Deardorff.

What ever happened to Wisner any way?

Keith Canham is still making cameras. The DLC model is a jewel and I always wanted the 8x10 version of that design.

<p>Buy most anything but a Wisner. Check out the Large Format Home Page if you want more info on Wisner camera problems. Friends who dealt with them as sales reps ended up having to take many of the bodies to woodworkers to 'make them right' before they even sold them.<br>

From them I learned Ron Wisner "could" make a very good camera but often did not. <br>

If you want a modern wood camera Keith Canham is excellent. Dick Philips is excellent. Others are as well. Wisners are not a good deal unless you buy from a few experienced dealers or get lucky.</p>

<p>I owned a Wisner Technical Field 8x10 that he built for me in 1988. Good camera, but heavy. Sold it recently on eBay. Wisner did all the building at his Marion, Mass shop, but seemed to have employee problems. I waited over a year for my camera to finally show up. He couldn't keep up with orders and the problems began.<br>

He also had some legal issue with Fred Picker when the Zone VI camera in 4x5 was introduced. If I remember correctly, one claimed the other with copying the design. Ron Wisner came from a family of organ makers and sailboat makers. Ron is now involved with sail boat racing from what I have heard.</p>

• 3 months later...

<p>I still work with 7x17, 5x7, and 4x10 Wisner Technical Field Cameras. I also owned over the years an 8x20 and 4x5 Wisners.<br>

As far as I remember he made all his cameras in house and became too popular and could not keep up with the demand. <br>

I had to have my 4x10 back remade so I could use holders that were not Wisner. <br>

As far as quality goes all the cameras they were beautiful and well crafted alas very heavy.<br>

These days I have added a 10x12 Chamonix with 8x10 and 7x11 reducing back. I am very pleased<br>

with this camera and it seems to hold up very well to field work. Love the weight. </p>