How much space to leave open on mac hard drive?

Loading (mostly photo) files on my new mac now, and wondering what people suggest as far as how much free space to leave on the 1 TB hard drive. I have the current mid level 21 inch iMac configured with 16 GB memory. (2.7GHz Intel Core i5)

I want to run internet, photoshop, scanner etc without approaching the point where too much storage slows the machine down.

I have external drives but want to keep a significant number of files on the Mac for easy access.

Thanks in advance. :)

<p>On the internal HD? I had a dial photography class etcher that recommended around 50%. I try to keep between 40-50 myself before I start moving stuff off. I've had external drives that got around 10% and started having trouble mounting, and when I took back to about 30% or more, started working again. So I think its good to give yourself ample head room for best performance. How you liking the computer Ray? Is it doing the job for you?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I had a dial photography class etcher that recommended around 50%.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>No way, I think Ellis's recommendation is far closer and similar to what I've heard from Apple. </p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

Thanks everyone, answers are about what I suspected.

Barry, I have only two complaints. One is the surface of the monitor. Seems to pick up dust and grease

easily and is hard to clean and dust shows up against the black border. Also the wireless mouse already

needs new batteries after a month or so. It's also a bit too sensitive, so that the page jumps around at the slightest

touch. When the batteries went this

weekend I switched over to my old mouse and that seems to be a better option. Minor details, but

otherwise everything works just fine. I also get the impression the brushed aluminum was a bit of a cheap

option for Apple, but it's just a cosmetic issue, and I'm probably nitpicking with that.

<p>On the mouse did you go into systems preference>mouse and change the sensitivity? Its easy to do. Yes the wireless mice do eat batteries I get anywhere from a month to 2 per set, but they will utilize rechargeable batteries. Might want to get a set of those, 4 batteries with a charger can always have a pair of replacements ready to go. I just find the old USB Apple mouse so clunky compared with the so called mighty mouse. I don't know if the brush Al was a cheap option, I like it much better than the white plastic but then as you say that is a cosmetic issue. Lastly cleaning monitor glass has always been a pain as the little black squares of cloth Apple gives you are barely big enough to clean eyeglasses. I need to find something online that works well for the glass.</p>

Barry, I don't think there's a preference for the mouse other than how quickly the cursor responds

to moving the mouse on table top, is there? The over sensitivity has to do with swiping your fingers on the top of the mouse that allows scrolling pages quickly up down and side to side.

<p>Have you gone to system preference and looked at the tracking speed? If you haven't than please try it. It controls how fast the cursor moves when you move the mouse. For me I find the shape of the old USB mice too clunky, the newer bluetooth ones fit in my hand a lot better.</p>

Tracking speed isn't the adjustment I need I don't think, unless there's an adjustment for finger swipe

tracking speed but I didn't see that first go round. I'll look at it again. Also hadn't thought of getting rechargables.

<p>I have long ago moved from mouse to trackpad and find it much easier to use. As to the screen, I keep a couple of static cleaning cloths around and wipe the screen a couple of times a day. The static charge attracts the dust. It depends on the humidity in the room -- they drier the more dust.</p>

<p>You'll likely want to have an external drive for Time Machine backup. I would get a 1 or 2 TB drive, partition it, and use one partition for image storage rather than on the boot drive. Multiple drives makes it easier, in my opinion. That's one of the nice features of the older Mac Pros--lots of internal HD storage.</p>