What is this flash bracket?

<p>Can someone help me identify the flash bracket that these photographers are using in this shot with the actress Blake Lively?<br>

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/14/showbiz/gallery/cannes-red-carpet/index.html?hpt=hp_c3<br>

It seems a very low profile rotating bracket that holds the flash slightly above the lens when the camera is held vertically. But definitely smaller than the Stroboframe I am used to. Thanks for your input!</p>

<p>Whatever bracket it is - although to me it looks like the majority of those snappers are just using straight hotshoe mounted flash - it's totally pointless because it doesn't move the flash head any appreciable distance away from the lens. In fact in some cases it actually appears to put the flash closer to the lens.</p>

RJ,

That's what I thought too until I bought one and tried it.

Here's what it does-

1) As you point out it gets the flash closer to the lens axis. For event photography this can make for a more flattering light

than a flash in the hot shoe or up high on other types of flash brackets.

2) if you have to switch from horizontal to vertical framing the flash moves a more flattering position than with brackets

that don't have a hinged mount for the flash or the far bulkier, heavier, and more awkward brackets that reorient the

camera. Also you don't have the distraction and time (admittedly only seconds ) of having to stop snapping to flop the

flash or the camera.

3) compared to most flash brackets the weight of the flash is now supported by your right hand, which is likely already

gripping the camera body, and is close to the mass of the camera.