Wedding Disaster - Low Resolution

sunny_w

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Well the bright side is she does have files that can be viewed on a computer screen and be printed to about 5x7 which can make a nice album. She should find someone or hire someone who can do some photoshop work to enhance the images and design an album. it could be a lot worse like not having any images at all.</p>

<p>Apparently the photographer had 6MP body but knowingly or likely unknowingly set it to half of it.<br>

Anyways, guys the pic I have from Sunny shows what D40 w 55-200 will do in Auto mode at given scene. Bit blurry full body portrait with super deep DOF an ppl in the back staring at her. But it also shows a beautiful bride with super pretty simple design wedding dress with carefully done make up and wedding day happiness on her face. This just doesn't look right, that's all.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>The bride provided a jpg with exif metadata. No raw. All shot on P mode. Quality cut to 3MP as per camera settings.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>To be exactly on point:<br>

If the Bride provided you with a (one) jpeg file, then it is an extrapolation on you part that “all” were shot in P Mode. & etc <br>

What you can conclude is only about that one particular image.</p>

<p>WW</p>

<p>Tomasz correct me if I am wrong but the file info is not going to tell you what pixel resolution the camera was set to. It will only tell you the pixel resolution of that file. In other words she could have decreased the file size in post which in that case gives hope to a higher resolution file somewhere.</p>

Hi all I'll be home soon to write a detailed response. I do have a contract and I can show other photos privately. All the

comments have been extremely helpful, if I do go to court the fact that she might have changed the settings to a low

resolution is crucial. She knew I wanted high resolution to make albums and print them on canvasses . Even though I can

view these photos on my computer they're very pixelated... And like I said she lost a memory card.

Thank you so much for your replies, I really really REALLY appreciate them. Will reply when I get home. Thanks again!!

"However, most of these shots are between 100kb to 400kb. One photo that is decent is 358kb and the dimensions are

1000 X 1504."

That's 1.5mp resolution. Even with a 6mp camera that is far from being high resolution in any context.

"Is this big enough to photoshop or even print?"

You could get a 5x7 at 200dpi.

"I've asked her to send me the RAW file"

She may not have shot raw files, but format is irrelevant. Even If she shot with a 6mp camera the height and width in

pixels would be substantially greater.

"but she sent an email pretending that she did, but didn't so that if I take her to court she can say that she sent them. In

my contract, it said that I would receive "high resolution" photos. "

If she claims those are high resolution files she's ah, "mistaken" (to be polite) and if she claims she has sent you higher

resolution versions she'll need to provide the link with a date stamp.

Are you willing to take her to court? Or are you just venting?

<p>Thomasz,Thank you for your detailed reply and your kind comment!!! Your main points are helping me decide whether I should take her to court or not.<br>

John, I’m hesitant to go to court because I know I will break down crying and I wanted other people’s opinions before going. Her reaction made me feel like I was acting like a bridezilla. I put the photos away for months and I’m looking at them now and they are still horrible. I can’t use any of these photos. She did not capture one single important part of my wedding she just did close ups of our hands, backs and feet. After reading how expensive it is to edit just one photo, I think I need to look into finding and saving up for another photographer to do a reshoot. I think the main shots I am upset about are our pictures with the wedding cake, people who we won’t see again etc. It took me a lot to save up for that cake and we don’t even have a proper picture with it. :(<br>

William, thanks for the reminder. I’m new to the forum, so I don’t want to make any mistakes. If I did a reshoot, how many hours is reasonable and at what price for the DC area/northeast USA<br>

Michael, she was not my original photographer. My original photographer had 15 years of experience and offered me a very discounted package with an album when she met me at my brother’s wedding the month before. She knew that I had taken elements out of my own wedding to pay for my sister in law’s wedding, so she wanted to help me. But then she had some personal issues going on and I couldn’t reach her and everyone pressured me to look for another photographer and I ended up with this one with the budget I had. My sister-in-laws album is absolutely stunning. This photographer told me it would only cost us $1200 but when she met with us the night before the wedding she said she made a mistake and that it was $1500 at that point I was pressured to agree because it was the night before the wedding and I didn’t want her to do a bad job! I don’t know the normal rate for weddings but I wasn't expecting anything crazy, just include our face! There were tiny things I asked her to change on the contract but I didn’t realize on the wedding day she had brought back the same contract with the price change and had my husband sign it. He wasn’t aware of the details… Another thing this photographer did was use my photos on her website without my permission. I told her in person that for cultural reasons I can’t have certain photos online for the public, she said she understood before we even signed the contract. She already had put my photos up on her website before even telling me about the lost memory card etc, most importantly there’s one photo that my mother would be really upset about if she saw it that I specifically told her not to post. I’ve asked her numerous times to remove it but she hasn’t. I see her getting clients with a similar background as me and some of them she says that for personal reasons she can’t certain photos. So I’m not understanding why she still put my weird picture up! I don’t want her using 3 careful photos out of a hundred bad ones to attract potential victims.<br>

Ellis, thank you for the reply. Both! Actually telling you about it is making me feel better. I’d like to take her to court because I don’t think she should do this to others and I don’t think I got any of the services I paid for not even the basics expected from a photographer. I can’t print any of these pictures as is because they all need some form of editing so I wanted to see if there were other solutions.<br>

I guess I just wanted to get some opinions on the whole situation and I really appreciate everyone’s input.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"correct me if I am wrong but the file info is not going to tell you what pixel resolution the camera was set to. It will only tell you the pixel resolution of that file. In other words she could have decreased the file size in post which in that case gives hope to a higher resolution file somewhere."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>The exif data won't show the shoot date and time and also a modification date and time?I just looked at some images I recently shot and then reduced in size for web use on PS. It shows the shoot time and the last modification time. It also showed the PPI for each. Are there some modifications or editing programs where changes don't show up?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"this photographer did was use my photos on her website without my permission. I told her in person that for cultural reasons I can’t have certain photos online for the public, she said she understood before we even signed the contract. She already had put my photos up on her website before even telling me about the lost memory card etc, most importantly there’s one photo that my mother would be really upset about if she saw it that I specifically told her not to post. I’ve asked her numerous times to remove it but she hasn’t."<br /><br /></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Is this understanding memorialized in the contract itself? It would make a big difference in the overall assessment of what to do, if anything, in this matter.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"You can erase it or just make a new file in PS. You can also edit it and alter freely AFAIK."</p>

</blockquote>

<p><br />The odds that a photographer, who allegedly shoots in P mode such that it also appears in the exif data, is going to strip only pixel or file size related info seems rather slim. What does the sample show? Is there a modification date and PPI change or not? If there is, then it is highly likely all of them were reduced. If not, I'll defer to more knowledgeable people on the subject.</p>

<p>I was looking through the disc and noticed that a few files were bigger and unedited, up to 750KB. Does that change anything? John, I sent Michael the contract and some photos maybe he can reply when he views them. I told her verbally and its common knowledge in both of our cultures so I didn't even think about asking for that to be written. I just asked her if it that was okay and she said "of course!"</p>