Nikon Introduces D810, $3299.95

ShunCheung

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Manufacturing complex systems is an enormously complex undertaking. The engineering community has

invested a tremendous amount of thought, planning, money, research, and control systems in order to reduce defect ratios. And yet, defects still occur. Recent problems at Toyota and General Motors are prime examples. These problems were not caused by natural

disasters.

Nikon's initial quality issues with the D800 and D600 were notable not simply because they occurred, but because of Nikon's underwhelming response. I understand that consumers have a tendency to panic. If a defect is found in one D800, other buyers will

wonder whether theirs is impacted as well. I don't blame Nikon for wanting to avoid a situation where camera owners would demand service (or replacement gear) due to suspicion of nonexistent defects.

On the other hand, consumer confidence suffers when problems are left unaddressed. Nikon didn't offer start offering fixes for the D600 until China banned import of the model. Oops! Perhaps the earthquake did contribute in some way to the existence of the initial defect. The lack of adequate follow up is the bigger issue.

I own a lot of Nikon gear. It's always been reliable. But any new product can introduce some new issue. Since I don't need a D810 immediately, I'm content to let the early adopters screen it for potential defects.

<p>I`m with BeBu... Once I`m in this price range, I don`t mind about paying a bit more for the update.<br /> In a previous post, Andrew mentioned some lack of... interest? in the new camera... I simply think people are waiting for availability to jump over it. Some users like to chat about new products, I think this one ask for direct buyers, no chat needed. Or to buy or not to buy, all has been said about it.<br>

<br /> The D810 seem an improvement over an already astoundingly good camera. It shouldn`t show any focus problem, with upgrades over the video/audio systems (there were some complaints about it at the D800 release), the new highlight metering, the improved grip, etc., etc. Small differences, but personally, really worth the expense for someone looking for this type of camera and doesn`t bought a D800/D800E yet. Those who already own the original model, probably don`t need it.</p>

<p>And the resale value will be definitely higher than that on the D800/D800E. If there are no issues with it, a D810 (like the D610) will assure to be a "problem free" camera. We will see how it runs.</p>

<p>BTW, I have been looking at the D810 brochure (<a href="http://www.europe-nikon.com/tmp/EU/2419865273/3760176746/2327365364/27184057/1391280926/2780083465/688362553/2027325250/4291728192/4102963099.pdf">here</a>, thanks Andrew), and found interesting that the 24-70 doesn`t appear in the lens` chapter; <em>Nikkor</em> - <em>The resolution a high-megapixel camera demands... </em>here they list the 14-24, 70-200VRII, 58/1.4, the new 800... they show the camera with a 24-70 attached, but the lens doesn`t appear listed with the other members of the "holy trinity"...</p>

<p>A couple of months ago, I needed to reduce from 3 DSLRs to 2. I posted what I liked and disliked about the D800, D600, and D3 I had.</p>

<p>Thinking about the D810 revisions vs what I like better in my D600 over the D800, it appears that several of the D600 advantages have been addressed. I am especially interested to see if the shutter is significantly quieter/smoother in the D810.</p>

<p>If nothing else, if one were considering buying either a D610 or D810, the D810 choice would be easier to make now over the D610.</p>

<p>I sold the D3. It was a tough choice, but I am not shooting as much sports now. </p>

<p><em>I simply think people are waiting for availability to jump over it</em></p>

<p>Precisely. Life is short, quickly let's make some photographs.<br>

<em> </em><br>

<em>the 24-70 doesn`t appear in the lens` chapter;</em></p>

<p>I'm sure those four lenses are just examples of the Nikkor lineup that they want to promote, not some exhaustive list. There is limited space, everyone knows Nikon's best selling 24-70 so it doesn't need additional coverage.</p>

<p><em>"holy trinity"</em></p>

<p>They're just tools, nothing "holy" about them.</p>

<p><em>Nikon didn't offer start offering fixes for the D600 until China banned import of the model.</em></p>

<p>This is not correct. They were fixing them or trying to fix them quietly all along, and they issued two annoucements regarding the problem before the third one where they basically gave indefinite warranty to the D600 shutter, which may mean a lot of abuse since effectively the D600 is now a camera that will be guaranteed to function as long as Nikon as a company exists. Of course when they give the customer a D610 in replacement, at that point the customer can't refer to the infinite warranty any more. The public statements were very carefully worded because they didn't want to be subject to abuse, and as a result people interpreted it as they are not admitting the problem but that wasn't it. </p>

<p>It is true, that in some regions, some customers were treated badly regarding this problem; Nikon is a large company and a proud one, and it takes time to get the word through. In many places Nikon addressed the issue promptly and without hesitation (I know personally some people who were given early service to it and the problem went away). There is no easy solution to this kind of issue.</p>

<p>I've had nothing but the best service from Nikon, including free repair of a damaged camera and AF recalibration after I had dropped it on hard floor (it wasn't even under warranty, but they didn't charge for the fix). For many years they gave me free CLA's etc. so it's hard to relate to the bad experiences some have reported online.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>and it takes time to get the word through.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yup, about 3 minutes for a very slow typist.</p>

<p>..........or maybe the post-carrying mule broke down in it's long trip to the further parts of far flung Empire.</p>

<p>Nope, classic Corporate Denial Syndrome.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I've had nothing but the best service from Nikon,...so it's hard to relate to the bad experiences some have reported online<br>

</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Exactly, it's the non standard behavior that annoys people...some have to fight like Tigers to get things fixed even though they're in warranty whilst others get things fixed outside warranty for free. That's the problem!</p>

<p ><a href="/photodb/user?user_id=19054"> </a></p>

<p><em>"Nikon has a track record of quality control problems in early production runs."</em><br>

Both my D7000's had to be repaired for auto focus problems and one also for auto exposure straight out of the box. That's a quality control problem. Nikon's repair was fast and effective. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>If you treat those people with respect and politely, you usually get the same in return.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>....and when you do the former and don't receive the later? ....because that's not unusual, unfortunately.</p>

<p>Anyway, back on topic. It would be very wrong to assume the D810 is flawed before anyone has really got their hands on it.</p>

<p>I think they've been very canny with just offering enough new toys to make people think hard between a new D810 and a 2nd hand D800 or D800E.</p>

<p>I am currently using D800e and I will definitely get this one. It's a marginal improvement and it has very minimal effect on my work (except for quiet mode which is a great feature when shooting quiet scene i.e: chapel, funeral) but since my d800e is a flaw, I would very much expect Nikon learned the lesson and improve AF performance on new D810.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Cameras are getting as bad as cell phones and computers.<br>

</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That's just a tad too cryptic to be helpful..:-)<br>

</p>

<blockquote>

<p>but I badly need a pro DX for shooting wildlife....<br /><br>

<br>

Sorry, I don't understand, you mean you can't Photograph Wildlife with an FX camera? <br>

</p>

</blockquote>

<p>True, you get no true magnificational extra reach with DX over FX (with the same lens) but you do get more pixels on target, so to speak. </p>

<blockquote>

<p> <br>

</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Don - you can photograph wildlife with FX, you just need longer lenses - or a teleconverter, with the image quality costs of that - to get the same crop. Though it's pixel density that should be the issue (you can always put an FX camera in DX crop mode). The D800 is a very good match to the D7000 (plus better autofocus) for DX image quality; the 24MP DX cameras do have the edge on reach. On the other hand, it's easier to get light into an FX camera, so it depends how well-lit your wildlife is.<br />

<br />

The D810 does seem to be significantly quieter. I would appreciate that, so long as the black-out time hasn't changed too negatively.<br />

<br />

And thank you for the responses to my worries about lack of interest - the D810 just seemed to get a bit less of a response than other recent cameras, so I was worried. I'm curious whether (or, more specifically, <i>when</i>) Canon are going to refresh the 5D3.</p>

<blockquote>Cameras are getting as bad as cell phones and computers.</blockquote>

<p>You take that back! :-)<br />

<br />

-- Andrew Garrard (Samsung Employee)</p>

<p>I just dropped my D800e off for a sensor clean. A few quick additional snippets, based on chatting to someone in Nikon UK:</p>

<ul>

<li>Moving the metering mode to the top left button cluster isn't as annoying as I thought, because of the fast override already available for programmable buttons. (It <i>is</i> an override, not changing the default, but it's probably close enough.) I've asked nicely that feedback be given to allow all the top left buttons to be options for the programmable right-handers, although I was definitely encouraged to use a monopod with my 200 f/2 instead.</li>

<li>I did ask about whether the hang on shooting live view (until the image is written) or the line skipping in live view maximum zoom was fixed, but sadly he wasn't sure (and he'd only seen a prototype).</li>

<li>Confirmation that the split-screen live view can be positioned and zoomed independently. In other words, useful for my tilt-shift case, not just for checking horizons. Though I really would have preferred quadrants.</li>

</ul>

<p>I'll be interested to see final reviews. I'm probably going to be tempted, but probably not for several months.</p>

<p>Why a pro DX is better for for wildlife/macro:<br>

1. 1.5x factor. more pixels, yes. 1.5x is huge different. <br>

2. AF points are more spread across the frame. Where in FX, they are more clustered in the center. This is what I miss from DX the most.<br>

3. Faster frame rates (compared to D801)<br /><br /><br>

I shoot mostly at daytime so, high-iso performance of FX doesnt really matter here.</p>

<p>i wonder why D801 still conservatively employ only 15 cross-type AF points. How does that help this camera autofocusing faster as nikon claims. Compared to canon 5d3, it has 41 cross-type out of 61. I find it far more superior in autofocusing than my D800e. NikonD800e does more AF hunting.</p>

<p>Edward: 1.5x more pixels in a crop region is a big difference. Though bear in mind that a D7100 only has about 1.5x total more pixels than the DX crop of a D810, not the 2.25 (1.5x crop factor, squared) compared with the D610. I'm not going to claim that the 1.2x linear density difference is irrelevant, although it's certainly not huge.<br />

<br />

Re. the autofocus, I was also dubious about how firmware changes could have a significant effect on the MultiCAM 3500, compared with Canon's latest high-end AF. Well, reports from the D4s are that it really did help, although not necessarily as much as the completely new model on the 1Dx/5D3. I'm sure a complete redesign of the AF module isn't easy - ignoring assembly difficulties like the D800's. (Bear in mind Canon's trouble with the 1D3 - it's not just Nikon.) If it was an easy tweak, I'm sure the D4s would have seen an upgrade.<br />

<br />

So, will the focus be as good as the state-of-the-art one on the 5D3? Probably not, at least unless the use of colour information (used by the 1Dx but not 5D3, I believe) is incorporated. But I would expect something of an upgrade over the D800e. The Nikon autofocus has to be more accurate, after all, to deal with the extra resolution.<br />

<br />

Incidentally, Edward - I appreciate that for many it's a minor upgrade, and a "D801" to you, but to me there are enough fixes in here that I think it's worthy of the *810" - more so than the D610 was! It's not just a "D800s". Well, probably - let's see what reviewers have to say.</p>