Canon 70D to Arrive Tomorrow - Should have paid for faster Shipping

richterjw

<p>I know the 70D has a great many features that will an upgrade over my Rebel T2i, but I think the thing I might me most excited about, from a practical standpoint, is the articulated display. I don't have anything insightful to add to the forum; I've just been waiting a while to upgrade and am pretty excited (and impatient) about the new gear.</p>

<p>I don't think this is earthshaking news, but good on you.</p>

<p>Quite aside from the articulating viewfinder (which wouldn't matter at all to me), I think that you will find the 'operating system' on the xxD and above series cameras to be a decided improvement of that on the in-the-US-called 'Rebel' cameras.</p>

<p>But it will take some adjusting. However, in the long run, nearly everyone finds the more direct access to the controls on the xxD cameras to be superior.</p>

<p>Perhaps others will have hints and suggestions for you and your new camera. ;)</p>

<p>JDM, when I went to the T2i from my EOS 3, it was definitely a step back in the handling/ergonomics department. I am looking forward to those improved control options.</p>

<p>I do hope others will offer hints/suggestions to make the transition fluid.</p>

<p>The touch screen is really nicely implemented. I thought it was a gimmick before I started using it, but it becomes so natural that I now tap the screen on my primary body. It works in a lot of ways that the manual doesn't mention, you just have to tap in any mode to find out what works. In Live View, touch where you want the focus point is nifty. The "Q" interface is very useful, it quickly becomes the best way to set anything, especially since it works with touch. The articulated screen is great for over-the-head and ground level shots, much less burden on the back and knees.</p>

<p>What I don't like is the implementation of wifi with no ad hoc mode for use with a computer. As a result, you still need an independent router to pump images into a computer directly, which is not always easy if you are on location. It works fine with a phone, but that's not the same thing.</p>

<p>In terms of technical image quality, I'm sure you will notice a big bump up. </p>

<p>I have used a 70d for about six months. I like the touchscreen and I adapted to it quite rapidly. The Live View is the best out there right now due to the new sensor design. I agree about the Wifi. I have a phone with a hotspot but I have yet to try it with the camera.</p>

<p>I have done two very large swim meets with the 70D. One at BU and one at harvard. The light is quite contrasty and not too bright and I have been pleased with my results. I just set the camera at F 3.2 at 1/640th or faster if I can meter it. The metering was pretty much spot on and the AF allows a good ratio of keepers. The photographer was mostly responsible for the missed shots. I have a 7D which I started at one meet when the 70D was fairly new because I have confidence with it. I thought I would try the 70D early on and never looked back and left the 7D in the bag. I shoot from the deck and both I and the camera get wet. I do use UV filter at times to keep the water off the front lens. I use a fifteen year old 70-200 2.8L lens and it works fine on the 70D for these meets. Some people have complained about the controls vis a vis the 7D but I am not one of them. I have been doing this with Canon since the late 1980s in news, wedding and sports pictures. I think this camera is an exceptionally good buy with a lot of capability. I have done a lot worse. I occasionally have to use high speed sync flash fill at meets indoors because the light is so bad and the requirement for some depth of field. I have seen complaints about 70D flash exposures I but have not experienced a problem with that. A while ago I ran into the head photographer for a news group whom I used to work with. I asked what camera he was using these days. He showed me his new 70D. The reasons for his purchase were for the wifi and the also for the overall utility in newswork. </p>

<p>[[i have a phone with a hotspot but I have yet to try it with the camera.]]</p>

<p>Just to be clear, the wireless connection between your phone and your camera does not require a mobile hotspot. A mobile hotspot is a specific function which allows your phone to share its internet connection with other devices that want to be online directly. </p>

<p>When using "Camera access point mode," it is the 70D that is providing the Wifi signal that your phone connects to, not the other way around. </p>

<p>Hint: assign FEC to the set button. The ruler display appears in the VF and you can set FEC without dropping eye from VF. Otherwise you're stuck with the menu or QCS. Also, assign the multi-controller for direct selection of AF points. You'll probably want to stick with zone and individual AF point selection modes for best results. 19-pt auto select has a mind of its own...</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>Hello Guys, thats my first post here!</p>

<p>I also bought a 70D to replace my old fella 50D. One of the first insights was: 'the hell, they shrink it! <br>

The 70D is much smaller and maybe lighter than the 50D. It's strange, the camera feels like a boosted rebel, but definitively is not the same solid feel. <br>

I'm using a heavy lens, and the small sized 70D disappeared behind it. Odd.</p>