Minimal gear?

mark_stephan2

<p>If you were getting rid of your collection, what would you keep as the minimum amount of gear worth keeping? For myself, I would choose my recently overhauled T90 which has seen several rolls of film this past month without a glitch. I'd also keep my A-1 as a backup/disposable camera. The New F-1's and most of my lenses would have to go. For lenses I'd keep. I love my 35-105 f3.5 and 80-200 f4L, 24f2.8, 35 f2.8 plus my favorite p0rtait lens and my TL-300.</p>

<p>If I could reanimate the stuck shutter, it would be the T90 for me too.<br>

I don't have many real 'classic' FD lenses, being more fascinated with the bodies, but I'd certainly keep the nFD 50mm f/1.4.</p>

<p>The 80-200 f/4 L is a terrific lens, although I didn't use mine enough to keep it. I ended up keeping a 28 mm f/2, 50mm f/1.4, 50mm macro f/3.5, and 100mm f/2. I really hated to sell my 135mm f/2...but again, I wasn't using it enough. Anyway, I still have broader coverage via my Tamron SP Adaptall lenses with a FD adapter, and I rarely shoot wide open anyway, so the narrower apertures isn't much of an issue.</p>

The Aspherical-marked lenses and green-stripe FL / FD Fluorites in my collection are keepers...more ordinary things like

24/2.8, 28/2.8, 50/1.8 could easily go unmissed. All F-1s stay, all Canonflexes do too, and the T-90 'til it belly flops! Okay, I'd keep that oddball, meterless FP with its accessory prism-top meter too.

Is there any reason to have a pair of ODF-1s???

Mark, your F-1N will outlast your T-90 & A-1's without shutter issues. Have the F-1N CLA'd & keep it.

I'm almost down to my F-1N & 55/1.2 ASPH lens. WIth the FD lenses orphaned many years ago, this

combination is my favorite. The best ever SLR manufactured camera body by anybody & the 55 ASPH

needs no explanation.

<p>I reduced my FD accumulation by giving away everything that wasn't a T90 or F-1. That left me with a pair of F-1 and nine T90, plus an FTbn found lurking in a quiet corner.</p>

<p>I kept all my L lenses, the macro lenses, and a few older FDs with the 55mm filter ring, to use on the FTbn. </p>

<p>If I *really* wanted to minimize, I'd have kept one F-1 plus three primes, period. But I could never be that rash. I love my T90s, and I use all the FDs on my EOS M.</p>

<p>Mark, if I were you I'd keep the F-1N and T90 and ditch the A-1, which is essentially what I did. That way, you'll have the best of both worlds.</p>

<p>I've been in the process of paring down my FD collection over the past several years, getting rid of redundant lenses (and some redundant bodies) first, and then turning to non-redundant gear. Dennis will be dismayed to know that I recently sold my 55/1.2 Aspherical (but have retained my 50/1.2 L, at least for now).</p>

<p>There are a few "special" lenses that I'll definitely keep: 50/1.4, 85/1.2 L and Aspherical, 80-200/4 L, etc. But the rest will probably eventually go...</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Mark, if I were you I'd keep the F-1N and T90 and ditch the A-1.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>+1.<br>

I still have my FD cameras except my first FTbn that I gave away to a young photographer. I'll have to tell that story someday.<br>

I suppose if pushed against the wall I would keep the T90, FDn 28mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.2, and 100mm f/2 as a minimum kit.</p>

<p>Heck, when I got that first FTbn, I had the old breach lock 50mm f/1.8 as the only lens for <em>years</em>! I didn't mind. I was walking on air just to have a real SLR camera. Fun times.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Hello MarK<br>

I still have all my FD system,since 1971,and i continue collecting them,and the pleasure to used all of models remainds the same,i love my first model f-1,the A-1.the T90,considered the best,i can´t imagine sold this great cameras,sometimes i shoot with the simple TX or a EF,use the FTb or a simple AE-1,with the same pleasure.<br>

FD lens,i have almost all stuff,i like the 24new f2,the 55f1.2 ssc aspherical,the 35 f2,8tilt & shift,the new 135 f2,the 20-35 f3,5L and so one.<br>

I continue shoot bw film and slide chromes everyday.<br>

I still love fd gear.</p>

<p>I sold/traded most of my Canon gear years ago when I switched to Nikon (not better, just different and the 28mm and 35mm PC-Nikkors shift-only lenses were more affordable than Canon's T/S lenses). The hardest bits of Canon gear to let go of were the FTbn and a couple of favorite breechlock lenses, a 50mm and the underrated 35/3.5 Canon. The latter may have been the best moderate wide angle I'd used and suited my preferences for scenics.</p>

<p>The only Canon lens I kept was the nifty breechlock 50mm f/1.8 (SC, I think?) with the aperture control level on the rear, which can be reverse mounted for macro and used on almost any other lens - even on a compact digicam if it can support the weight.</p>