Nikkormat goes to the Zoo

<p>It has been a while since I posted a camera related thread here. It was mostly due to us moving and few other factors that slowed me down with film processing and camera acquisitions. I promise to make up to you guys by posting some interesting models in coming weeks. Over last few months I've acquired some Nikkor lenses for very good prices. I got a 200mm f/4, 135mm f/3.5, some rings and extension bellows for my film cameras. I have a macro project going on now, but today, I'm sharing my results with 135mm and a 50mm f/2 Nikkor lenses. Few weeks ago my family and I took a drive to Chicago's Zoo (Lincoln park Zoo) just 2 miles from downtown Chicago. The admission is free, but you pay for parking, unless you take the train or buss. I wanted to shoot some film with my Nikkormat camera and two lenses. So, lets get started. First up is a shot taken with 50mm at the Zoo's entrance. Erik and Anita have just conquered this brass lion.</p><div>00cdMc-548929584.jpg.86ddec20456664aed7ed4ed7632d82af.jpg</div>

<p>I used Fuji Acros for all the shots, cooked up in Rodinal 1:50. It was quite sunny with mostly direct light. The camera's meter worked fine, but I think that next time I will use my handheld one as I seem to get more consistent results. Overall it was a nice trip and the gear worked fine. I got the 135 for less than 20 bucks and it's in very good condition. I hope you enjoyed this short trip to Lincoln Park Zoo. If you ever stroll by Chicago, make sure to visit it. It's worth it.</p>

<p>Very nice, Kris. Hope your children enjoyed the trip as much as I did seeing the pictures you took. And thanks for the memories of Nikon cameras and lenses from the past. It made me remember the Nikkormat EL I had many moons ago.</p>

Nice sharp results there. The bird and the giraffe were super. I liked the candid shots of your children too! I

often find myself tapped out and prefer to use 50mm and get in close. The 135 is often too big .. my own

personal problem. That you got these lenses at such a steal makes me envious. I always styed away from

Nikon becasue it was desirable and $$. A friend has now given me his Nikon 2000/F-301 outfit w/50mm

28mm and 500mm mirror and I really would like a short zoom but even on the Bay, Nikon gear brings a

pretty penny. I hope I can find something as nice as your 135mm for USD20,00. Wow!!

<p>Nice work Kris. I Have an EL that I got as a rear lens cap for a 50/1.4. Turns out that the camera is fully functional, but the lens has sticky aperture blades. As soon as I finish the roll in my F2, the EL is next on the list. I've always thought that the 135/3.5 was a very underrated lens. I have an AI version that was the first manual focus lens I ever bought. I think I paid about $40 for it several years ago.</p>

<p>That first picture of your daughter is really nice. I hope to be able to capture images like that of my own daughter when she gets a little older. A fact that mystifies my wife, who thinks that all portraits should be of someone grinning at the camera. Thanks for sharing with us.</p>

@ Alan. I processed the film in Rodial 1:50 for 13

minutes and scanned it on my Epson V500.

Cory, it is true what you said about portraits no just

being posed shots showing toothers but also shots

showing emotions deep inside the photographed

subjects.

<p>Those of that were die hard Nikkormat users in the 70's resented the "EL" tremendously. To this day I'm not sure why either? It's aperture preferred auto exposure , electronically controlled shutter just freaked people out. These did drain batteries quickly and that hidden battery chamber caused much drama once these found there way onto the used market. For those that don't know: the battery chamber is beneath the mirror. Unless you lock the mirror up you would never figure out where to replace the batt.<br>

In a few years we all used FM/FE series cameras which no one seemed to resent. Electronic shutters and auto exposure became accepted quickly. But like any new technology it got a chilly response at first. Even the F2's were given the cold shoulder at first.</p>