Hello from Alberta, Canada

andy_pitchford

<p>Hi everyone I'm just getting in to photography, I have a Nikon d60 with an 18-55 which comes in the kit and I also have a 70-300 lens. I'm having a hard time understanding how to incorporate shutter speed with F stops. Andy help would be appreciated. I like to shoot old buildings, landscapes and wildlife. I'd like to get into shooting nudes also.<br>

Thanks<br>

Andy</p>

<p>Welcome Andy! <br>

To me f-stops are more of a depth of field thing, but I have observed that smaller f-stops cause less light to pass through, and therefore affects the shutter speed. My general rule of thumb is to lengthen the shutter speed only if focusing area is very limited. Though I do some bracketing with still life. In sport photos or anything that captures motion, I haven't played with anything but F-22, or very close. There are a lot of interdependencies between ISO, f-stop and shutter speed, some of the decisions come down to your preference because with a manual camera, you can find many settings that work well for a given picture, then the question is, which do you prefer? That preference can only come with time and instinct. </p>

<p>For basic information about this you might try: <a href="http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/cameras-photography/tips/how-to-know-what-f-stop-to-use1.htm">http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/cameras-photography/tips/how-to-know-what-f-stop-to-use1.htm</a></p>

<p>When I was using a light meter every day, I would often take the results as a suggestion and opt for something else because I wanted a specific effect such as a more limited depth of field (smaller f-stop) or an overexposure (longer shutter speed) especially when adding a hazy glow on portraits, for example. </p>