Carry around an SLR, 2 small primes 1 small zoom and 1 medium zoom?

ant_nio_marques

<p>Hi,<br>

The case that came with my father's AE-1 Program is no longer fit to use.<br>

What would you suggest for taking the camera to town?<br>

I'd like something able to carry the camera with one lens attached and at least one other. Of course, being able to accomodate the two primes and the two zooms would be great. Yes, there are many choices. My 'problem' is that modern bags are usually DSLR oriented, and DLSRs are not quite like film SLRs in bulk. So I thought of asking whether anyone had some particular choice that would fit these requirements well.<br>

Thanks.</p>

<p>I have two things that have worked pretty well with proper film SLR's and would fill the bill, but I'm not entirely sure what is current.</p>

<p>Both, as it happens, are made by Tamrac. One is a camera case with a shoulder strap, onto which modular accessory lens and flash holders can be attached. It's at least similar to the Pro Zoom Pack. The exact model is almost certainly long gone, as my wife bought this something like 20 years ago. </p>

<p>The other is a small backpack, in which a Nikon F4 with a medium lens and a couple of small primes and a small flash ride, if snugly. It's hard to remember exactly what model this one is, but there are a number that would work. I think mine is the "Travel Pack 73." It might be the smaller one, but I don't think it is the smallest. The internal dividers are pretty versatile, and with a big old SLR you won't be able to carry so many lenses, but it will fit a good sized camera. Look for cases that are made for a pro DSLR, and they will usually be large enough to fit one with an added battery pack, which translates into a pretty good fit for a larger film SLR.</p>

<p>The shoulder bag shown fits a Nikon F with an 80-200 lens comfortably if the hood is inverted, and the lens case just barely accommodates that length. </p><div>00cf6Z-549275884.jpg.36c093ae197f02cef5c8da0e2e54f264.jpg</div>

<p>This is the small Tamrac back pack. A tight fit for the F4 and 70-300 zoom shown, but it fits in all right if other lenses are short enough to stow on end. With a short lens on the camera, the long one can fit in. Less convenient than the other case, if you're going to be reaching often for the camera.</p><div>00cf6a-549275984.jpg.9deaa9001bab38a6fb4f0ad5f1aab780.jpg</div>

<p>I do not see the big difference between a SLR or DSLR oriented bag - I use the same for both and in actual use, it really doesn't matter. Yes, my DSLR is larger than any of my film cameras, but at the point where one takes 4 lenses, that does become a rather moot point.<br>

Depending on how many lenses I want to take, I use either the ThinkThank Retrospective 5 (camera w/ lens attached, one additional lens or 2 small primes) or LowePro Nova 3AW (camera w/ lens, up to 4 additional lenses if not overly large). The Thinktank bag looks far less a camerabag and is more comfortable, but also a whole lot more expensive. The LowePro very versatile, but slightly large for crowded places.</p>

<p>In general I prefer my Think Tank bags, although they're hard to get in the UK, but just to add a suggestion: when travelling fairly light, I've been known to take a Lowepro Fastpack 350 (the 250 may be too small with your lenses). Only the bottom is a camera bag, but the top bit then lets you carry "other stuff". My D700 is a bit of a tight fit, so it may actually be better for an AE-1. Though my only film Nikon is an F5, so any discussion about relative sizes is a bit of a moot point. Just a thought.</p>

<p>Here is usually dislike modern camera bags and avoid buying them new. I see no relevant difference between a flat 35mm film camera and a small DSLR as far as bags are concerned.<br>

My fav shape of bag for a rig like yours is rather flat has a 1st column holding 2 standing mid size lenses a 2nd column with a laying short prime and long lens mounted on camera a unreal 3rd column just able to hold cigarette packs, batteries filters or maybe even film cans. The bag has a quick opening buckled lid to pull out the camera, but to access the lenses I'd have to open the front via 2 zippers. To me it looks designed in the 70s and is made from something like leather.<br>

As an alternative to that I cramped up to two bodies and a few small lenses into a paramedic's bag on a shoulder strap. tTat type of bag has the huge advantage to open like a hawker's tray in front of me without needing a hand to support it while I change lenses. - I have been too lazy to make custom dividers for it and relied on the lens caps to stay in their places.<br>

I guess there is a good chance to find a used bag for moderate camera kits on fleamarkets or ebay.</p>

<p>Thank you all very much for your suggestions. Yes, this is a very personal thing, but I find it useful to know what works for others, and this is no exception.</p>

<p>I have had good experiences with camera bags on ebay. I've been able to get things like new at a fraction of the price. One needs to know how to look, of course.</p>

<p>A striking, for me, feature of DSLRs is that the lens sits noticeably more off-centre than in film SLRs, which tend to be wider, albeit often thinner. To me, that does make a difference when it comes to packing.</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>At photography school most of us are using small "carry on luggage" with wheels and an extendable handle. A full fame camera and set of lenses gets VERY heavy if you try to carry them around all day. I have a ThinkTank bag, but I'd never walk far with it</p>