Photo.net users, Pinterest & Copyright Infringement

<p>I've turned off the web sharing options on my workspace page here on photo.net.</p>

<p>One reason only. Pinterest. It is copyright infringement, mass produced.</p>

<p>I had to spend much time requesting removal of my photo.net images that had been "pinned".</p>

<p>Unlike most of the other "share" buttons you see on Web pages, the "pinit" button actually copies the image, large, to the pinterest servers. Unless the rights holding photographer is doing the pinning, most pinning infringes on copyright.</p>

<p>Read the important details here:<br /> http://greekgeek.hubpages.com/hub/Is-Pinterest-a-Haven-for-Copyright-Violations</p>

<p>Many people claim that pinterest gets them traffic, exposure etc. Having my photos copied en mass to Pinterest is not in my best interest.</p>

<p>I'm urging photo.net users to turn off the sharing button option specifically to block Pinterest. Many thousands of photo.net users images have been copied to Pinterest, most often with out the photographers permission or knowledge. Just go to pinterest and search for photo.net or the keywords you have on your images. You'll see.</p>

<p>Pinterest is making money from copyright violation by its users. There is Pinterest, it's users, and the third party content. I refuse to be that third party.</p>

<p>They are a major repository of stolen images, but who do you sue? Their terms of use say users may only submit content that they own, they're covered by the "safe harbor" provisions which mean they are not responsible for what users post (just like photo.net) and if you file a DMCA complaint they will take down images you can PROVE belong to you.</p>

<p>It's pretty obvious that Pinterest knows exactly what's going on and that their entire business models DEPENDS on copyright violations, but can you sue them for that? They're technically following the letter of the law. I'm not aware of anyone who has even tried to file against them.</p>

<p>The subject of being able to turn of share options on a service by service basis has been brought up and the management is aware of it. It would be nice to be able to individually turn off Pinterest (or Facebok or whatever).</p>

<p>Note you can't stop anyone from pining any one of your images displayed anywhere on the web if they want to do it. They don't need an icon to click on. However websites can include HTML text on every page or on individual images which prevents them from being pinned. As yet photo.net does not offer that option.</p>