Kodak Retina Reflex S.

RCap

<p>I purchased this Retina Reflex S around 2 1/2 years ago and had a CLA done by Essex Camera Repair in August 2011. I cannot believe it has taken me this long to run some film through it. So this past weekend I loaded it with some Kodak ProFoto XL 100 and took it for an outing.</p>

<p> </p><div>00cTdZ-546613784.jpg.011ef773e7ff93876f4541b9bb8277e6.jpg</div>

<p>And finally a bridge by the boathouse. This spot is favored by wedding photographers throughout the area.<br>

<br /> Overall I enjoyed using the camera. The lack of an instant return mirror did not hinder me as I advance the film right after the shot out of habit. The focus knob took some getting used to though. And I moved the aperture wheel under the wheel a few times by mistake. However I caught it before the shot.<br>

<br /> I really miss having Essex Camera Repair around as they brought this camera back from the brink. I have other camera I would like to get fixed and I am unsure who to send them to.</p><div>00cTdm-546614684.jpg.fb5a792eba30bbb17d9c8bdc68508a38.jpg</div>

<p>Two and a half years must be some sort of record for leaving a shooter as good as the Retina Reflex S on the shelf, untried. Fine images,<strong> Raymond</strong>, with the Xenar living up to expectations and delivering clarity, contrast and good colour. There's something quite surreal about "Water over the Edge" and I like the composition and reflections in "The Escapee" and the "Rahway River" pics. Sadly, I think the demise and disappearance of trusted camera technicians is an international phenomenon, and I can't see the situation improving. Thanks for a colourful post.</p>

<p>If you find a RR that works well, you have a really nice shooter. All the lenses are top notch, even the humble Xenar which give nice colour without too much contrast.<br>

As Rick has said, it's getting really hard to find people willing to work on the leaf shutter reflexes, which will eventually relegate all those RR's, Contaflexes and Bessamatics to the shelves.<br>

The shot of the Weir is a real visual puzzle, nice work.</p>

I used Essex for almost 25 years, a real loss for classic cameras. KEH did a good job on a Leica CL for

me, and Youxin Ye is great for Leica cameras and other LTM cameras.

I end up using the Retina IIIS more than the Reflex S- which is fully functional. I replaced the pentaprism in

mine with one from a Minolta XG- perfect fit, very bright.

Glad to see that the camera works. A testament of course to the trusted hands of a qualified repair shop. I

once left a repair go unchecked. I had a TLR which aperture would stick. After being told they replaced the

shutter. I chcked the shutter and it was OK 18 months later when I finally pushed some film through it, I

realized it hadn't been collimated correctly. Nice to see some fine color pics. These cameras are the

logical successor to the great RF line. I like the build quality on them quite a bit. Thank you for showing

this fine model in use!!

• 1 month later...

<p>Nice pictures Raymond, and a very nice example of the Retina Reflex. The lenses on the Reflex series of cameras were very good, just as good if not better than the Canon/Nikon lenses out in the late 1950s/early 1960s. They are a true testament to what a great company Kodak used to be, developing top notch cameras. <br>

I'm curious though about the film you used; i've never tried it myself or seen it in a store. Is it similar to the Kodak Gold films?</p>