Mirrorless Monday_March 31, 2014

<p><strong>Alex</strong>--we were in the pickup and the deer are becoming more accustomed to seeing the pickup and seeing us driving through the woods everyday. It's a 40-acre woods and it's across the street from us. At times people try to hunt in the woods even though there are signs saying not to, so we make daily rounds just to check things out. Usually the deer run away (there are about 35-40 of them that stay there) but sometimes they linger a bit before they do.<br>

<strong>Anthea</strong>--Nice shots! Beautiful colors.<br>

<strong>David Smith</strong>--I love your last picture but I agonized over which song that line came from, and I<em> finally</em> remembered today!</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"Lex, yours looks like a monument to the "jackalope"."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Indeed it is! That's the Jackalope sculpture on Camp Bowie Boulevard. Formerly Jackalope Pottery, more recently it's been a car dealership. I think that was made during local artist Nancy Lamb's whimsical sculpture phase - she's posted photos of other smaller humorous sculptures on her Facebook wall. Her other notable style is near-photo-realistic life sized paintings of the local social scene - parties, folks playing dominos, etc. She takes photos from unusual perspectives, especially overhead looking down, but when translated to large paintings the effect is remarkable, humorous and a bit disorienting.<br>

<br />No idea what the fellow on the bridge in the companion photo was doing. I just snap 'em as I see 'em in passing - there's no time to compose beyond a rough guesstimate. The result is often like those odd Google Street View photos.</p>