Manual Focus Confirmation?

bob_cook

<p>You can use two aids on the E-M1: focus magnification and focus peaking. I have mapped both to buttons (peaking to the upper button on the front, right of the mount, and magnification to Fn2), so I can pick which one to enable. With native lenses you can also select which one of these to activate when you rotate the focusing ring.</p>

<p>Thanks. That's what I suspected. Now I just have to figure out how to program a button. I printed out the manual and had it bound at Staples, so at least I can read more easily. Hopefully there's a section entitled "How To Program a Button." I'm sure that's not the case, but one can hope. I'm really intimidated by these menus and options; none of it is intuitive to me.</p>

<blockquote>

<p> I printed out the manual and had it bound at Staples, so at least I can read more easily</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That really angered me when I bought the original OM-D last year. A $1300 camera with no printed manual. How chintzy can ya get? I complained to Olympus USA and they sent me a printed manual; about the same quality as a Staples job. </p>

<p>Focus peaking is indeed a nice feature but it can be confusing. A lot of times what "peaks" is multiple areas and there's not always a good way to determine what is focused. </p>

<p>For me, the "zoom" feature was more helpful than focus peaking for manual focus confirmation. I tried the focus peaking on a subject with a lot of texture and couldn't discern what was in or out. I'm beginning to learn my way around the camera; I think I'm going to like it for my style of work. I think I'll especially like using live view with the "touch screen, focus and trip shutter" feature.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Now I just have to figure out how to program a button.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Go to the Button menu, then select the function you want to assign to each button. Last three options in that menu are for the add-on grip, so you can skip them.</p>

<p>You really don't have to read the manual except maybe for a few features. Just scan through all the settings and read the popup help messages (press Info button to bring them up faster). They do a pretty good job of explaining what the settings are doing.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>For me, the "zoom" feature was more helpful than focus peaking for manual focus confirmation.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That is my experience too. But focus peaking can be useful, so I can bring it up at the touch of a button and send it away if it doesn't help.</p>