Lee Filter System

augphoto

<p>Hello to all.<br /><br />I hope this subject hasn't been covered before.<br /><br />I am ecstatic because I have finally got the Big Stopper coming my way!!!<br /><br />I have yet to order the foundation kit, however, or the adapter ring(s). Which brings me to my question. All of my lenses but two take a 77mm filter. The ones which do not are the 70-200 which takes a 67mm and my 100 macro which takes a 58mm filter.<br /><br />So, I was going to purchase a 77mm adapter (of course) and a 67mm adapter for the 70-200, then maybe a 58mm for my macro. Whew, this is an expensive game we're in isn't it ?<br /><br />Then I got to thinking. Is there ever a need for filters (including nd grads, solid nd filters, or the Big Stopper) on either the 100 macro or the 70-200 zoom. I obviously want them for my wider lenses but does anyone find a use for them on longer lenses as well ?<br /><br />Now, if I may bother you with a secondary question or questions. I see that Lee sells an expensive polarizer for the front of the foundation kit. I like polarizers but I've read that some won't use them with wide-angles anyway because they make the sky uneven. Do any of you experience this issue? Do you even both with a polarizer when using grads, etc ? If you do use them, do any of you use a polarizer other than the Lee on the front of the foundation kit ?<br /><br />I ask this later series of questions because I already own a B + W 77 MM (MC) Kaesemann Circular Polarizing Filter which I love and paid good money for. Would I not be able to use this with the Lee System ? It is only a 77mm filter thread after all. Is there no way to make it work ? Or, again, would it even pay to use one ?<br /><br />In case it matters, I am using Canon equipment. Specifically the 7D but do plan on purchasing a full frame body in the future. Currently my widest lens is a 17-40.<br /><br />Thanks, for bearing with me on my long post and I thank everyone in advance for responding. As you can see, I am not well-versed in this filter stuff so, if anyone has any other tips or knowledge on this system or things I should know, please chime in.</p>

I'm no expert on the Lee filter system, but, as with every other purchase of a system, I would suggest that you first buy

what you currently need, and then start making a list of photos you couldn't make because you lack the tools to make that

image. Only then you could answer the question regarding if you need the Lee filter system on your 70-200mm lens.

For example, back in the days of film photography, I would rather use a graduated ND filter than spend hours in the lab

correcting the image (dodging and burning), but now I rather bracket and compose in post (although there are very

specific cases when composing bracketed images gives you more trouble than just using a grad filter at capture time).

Regarding your second question, I wouldn't use a polarizer filter in a wide shot, because, as you said, the sky would

appear uneven, but I actually use a polarizer on my wide angle lens when the sky is not as important as reducing

reflections in water. Then only you know your subjects and your needs.

• 2 weeks later...

<p>"<em>Then I got to thinking. Is there ever a need for filters (including nd grads, solid nd filters, or the Big Stopper) on either the 100 macro or the 70-200 zoom. I obviously want them for my wider lenses but does anyone find a use for them on longer lenses as well</em> ?"</p>

<p>I never use any filters with my 100mm macro since I'm basically using it for close-up work or product photography. As far as the 70-200mm I never used ND filters with that lens either, but I'm guessing that you can use it at the lower focal lengths.</p>