dumped the dx

memphis1

<p>I liked the APS very much. The only feature I don't like is its aspect ratio and the feature of switch aspect ratio. But I can't dump my 35mm for it because it's an down grade. Film isn't like digital where you can possibly get a small sensor works better than a larger one. Film is the same stock and a small piece isn't as good as a bigger piece. I don't care for the smaller size. I like the magnetic strip. The way the cassette indidicate status of the film. And very easy loading. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>I have to agree with Kent Staubus that there is nothing magical or special about the 35 mm format.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>The 24x36mm 35mm frame size (FX format) was just some random size chosen around a century ago when people started using movie film for still photography. However, film/sensor size does affect your final results.</p>

<p>The fact that FX is considerably larger than APS-C/DX means you'll collect more light such that FX can give you better low-light results than DX (assuming that everything else being equal). And by the same token, if you can use a sensor larger than FX, that larger sensor will have the potential for even better high-ISO results. That is simple physics.</p>

<p>The problem with DX DSLR is that initially they were built to use old film SLR lenses since there was, and still is, a lot of such lenses around. That was why the Nikon D1 continues to use the Nikon F mount dated back to 1959. As a result, DX wide angle lenses still have to clear the original flange-to-sensor distance Nikon specified in 1959 but the lenses have to be much wider due to the smaller DX format. That requirement makes DX wides harder to make and tend to have inferior quality. That is why today, if I need to use wide angle, I use FX.</p>

<p>APS-C format mirrorless cameras do not have that baggage from the 35mm film era.</p>

<p>There isn't any magical about the 35mm format of 24x36mm. When Nikon introduced their first DSLR they didn't make any lens for the format. Their DX DSLR used the same lens as the 35mm film camera. That is the problem with DX. If Nikon were to make the entirely new format with new lens mount and new lenses then DX is just another format and there is no problem. </p>