Can Canon has been up to and general plans for the near future

<p>Keith, I suspect that you're right about the 5D3 massively outselling the D800. Where'd you find that? I'd like to use it in the future. ;-)</p>

<p>I'm constantly amazed at all the people, including Canon users, saying that the 5D3 is no real improvement over the 5D2. They must not be using theirs like I use mine. For me, the 5D3 is a much better tool that makes my photographic life much easier and more successful.</p>

<p>Robin said:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I think when some people say there is a "lack of improvement" they are referring to the only incremental improvement seen in RAW image quality at usual ISOs rather than the better AF system, fps etc.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Maybe their idea of "usual ISOs" is way different from mine. I shot several hundred shots over ISO 1600 last weekend, with results substantially better than I would have gotten with my old 5D2. Anyway, I've blown up my 5D2 images to 50" in the long side and they're stunning as is.</p>

<blockquote>Is that the same D800 that is <em>massively</em> outsold by the 5D Mk III, Abbas?</blockquote>

<p>I am not sure what the sales data is for the D800 but when comparing Nikon to Canon in this segement I think it would be more fair to compare D600 and D800 sales to 6D and 5D sales. Specification wise the D600 would also be competition with the 5D as it has a pro-oriented AF and other feature set.</p>

<p>While the 6D's AF and other features are so hobbled by Canon that its clearly meant to be a consumer only camera, I expect it probably has some overlap with the D600 market.<br>

I also think that growth in sales in this market segment is more relevant than actual sales. Actual sales will largley be a function of the existing user base in each system due to already owning either Canon or Nikon lenses. Hence there will be a lot of intertia built into actual sales figures.<br>

So anyone care to shed some light on the growth in sales of D600/D800 versus 6D/5D? To my mind that is the best test around market percpetion of the various offerings?</p>

<p>I found the following usage information on Flickr this morning:</p>

<ul>

<li>5D2 123 million images posted</li>

<li>5D3 25 million images posted</li>

<li>6D 8 million images posted</li>

<li>D800 11 million images posted</li>

<li>D600 8 million images posted</li>

</ul>

<p>If two-times the usage equals "massive", then Keith is right.</p>

<p>At the moment, the Canon 5D2, much to my surprise even though I used one from 2008 through mid-2012, is one the most used camera models used on Flickr, with the iPhone 4s far behind at 90 million usages. The Nikon D90 has 128 million usages, making it the current "high-end" single-model champion. Apparently the average Flickr user is into using some very good equipment. The Canon Rebel XTi 400D has 159 million usages, making it the overall champion.</p>

<p>Here's another interesting Canon/Nikon comparison:</p>

<ul>

<li>7D 87 million images posted</li>

<li>D7000 57 million images posted</li>

</ul>