Looking for a new Canon camera. Need some opinions and advice please :-)

<p>Hello all! I'm here because I need a little help. I've been using the same camera for maybe 7-8 years or so. It's a Canon Rebel xti. It's time for something new! I have a home based studio, and I photograph mainly infants and children, with the occasional senior or family. During the summer months I do a lot of outdoor portraiture. This has turned into full time work for me and my camera is taking a beating! It's been forever since I have really looked at what's on the market. I see a variety of different Canon cameras and I'd like to know what you guys think would suit me best for what I do. My budget is in the ballpark of $2,000. Thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks a bunch!</p>

<p>Your lens collection might dictate somewhat. If you have lenses for crop sensors, to go full frame you need to look at upgrading your lens collection. If stay with crop, you could get 2 bodies for that (if you're getting paid, always have a backup, or if you're like me, have 2 back ups).<br>

Canon has so many options, dpreview.com is a good place to compare features. The only Canon I regret buying is the 60D. Some of the features consistently found with xxD line were removed.<br>

6D is a great option if going full frame. 7D or 70D if crop.</p>

<p>I think you'd enjoy greatly the advantages of going FF, but as Eric and Peter allude, your lenses may dictate your camera. Personally I wouldn't limit yourself to a new camera. a 5D or 5D2 can both be had for your budget, and both will give significantly improved output over your XTi. For example, even if if you had no lenses at all, a used 5D + 85/1.8 + 50/1.4 can be had for your budget. That's a kit that has made very demanding portraiture artists happy.</p>

<p>If, OTOH, you already have a few EF primes, then a 6D would be a great replacement for the XTi.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Looking for a new <strong><em>Canon camera</em></strong>. . . I have a <strong><em>home based studio</em></strong> . . . I do a lot of <strong><em>outdoor portraiture</em></strong>. This has turned into <strong><em>full time work</em></strong> . . . I'd like to know what you guys think would suit me best for what I do. . . My budget is in the ballpark of $2,000.</p>

</blockquote>

<p><strong>Ditto Peter J:</strong><br /> <strong>What lens(es) do you have? </strong><br /> <strong>What lens do you use the MOST?</strong></p>

<p>***</p>

<p>General comment based on not enough inormation:</p>

<p>Obviously you are already selling enough work to make this venture ‘full time’ – and that business is using a 400D and whatever lenses you have.</p>

<p>If your rationale for a new purchase is only because the 400D is taking a beating (i.e. might fail soon) and if that $2000 (assumed US$) is the budget for the camera ONLY (i.e. no new lenses) and you like the weight, size and ergonomics of the xxxD (Rebel) Series: then a new Rebel T5i (700D) would be a good strategic business choice.</p>

<p>I expect that will be around $600.00, leaving $1400 unspent.</p>

<p>Another APS-C camera (if you intend no new lenses) will most likely leverage your system redundancy, as I expect? ? ? that you will have predominately or only, EF-S Lenses?</p>

<p>***</p>

<p>We have a 400D 'KIT' (18 to 55; 55 to 250 and 35/2), I now that camera and those lenses intimately.<br /> However I use 5D Series cameras almost exclusively for any Portraiture: re-thinking if you want to spend US$2K on a new kit, including lens(es), as Marcus has outlined, is a good idea - especially if you are indeed using kit lenses with your 400D - as so doing will allow for more creative and more demanding work.</p>

<p>WW</p>

<ul>

<li>Another plus 1 for the 6D. You'll like the FF for the increased ability to put the background out of focus. (Because you frame up closer to the subject w a FF.)<br /><br /></li>

<li>Noise is likely lower with a 6D than a 70D.<br /><br /></li>

<li> I know noise is much lower on my 5D, compared to my 7D.</li>

</ul>

<p>But it needs to be emphasized again, in the strongest terms, that <strong><em>no</em> EF-S lenses ("digital only" from non-Canon vendors) will work on a 6D or other "full-frame" camera</strong>.</p>

<p>If you are used to the XTi control system (and it's still a decent working camera until it does die, if ever), then a "Rebel" model will be more comfortable than the different controls on the 70D and other xxD cameras. Before you invest in the fancier APS-C models, try them and see how you work with the control system. Those of us who started with the xxD models much prefer that OS (operating system, since that's what it is), but much depends on what you are used to. Keep the XTi and there is something to be said for having two cameras that work as much alike as possible. No shifting gears in midstream, so to speak.</p>

<p>Fancier APS-C and full frame cameras will be larger and heavier, which may be an issue as well. +1 on JDM's suggestion to handle them before buying. A relative was thinking of upgrading from her rebel, and holding a 7D convinced her to stick with the smaller stuff. </p>

Eric is right, you need to have backup gear, so if your camera is truly wearing out, then you need two new bodies. If not,

then your current camera can be a backup, which then leads to what others have said about full-frame vs. crop. It

depends on the lenses you have, and also will depend on if you want a full-frame and a crop, or if you want to stick with

two crop-sensor bodies, because the field of view will be different if you choose to have one of each.

<p>The Rebel XTI is a great camera, but if you are doing portrait work, the benefit of full frame is tremendous. When I moved from crop sensor to ff several years ago, the depth of field benefit was one of the most notable differences between the two systems. The original 5D plus a really good lens might be an economical option.</p>