Buying the Contax 645 system this week! Any tips?

ricky_dekker

<p>Hey guys, I'm new to this forum but have been getting info from it for years. I recently sold my 5D Mark III, 35 1.4, 50 1.2, and 85 1.2 L lenses and am buying from ebay this week a Contax 645 body, 35mm, 45mm, 80mm, 140mm lenses, and a vacuum back and a Bill Maxwell modified matte focusing screen. Probably going to try getting an extra film back or two, and eventually another vacuum back. I really want the 55 and 120 and 210mm lenses as well, but those will have to wait for awhile. Also that 45mm tilt shift you can get for it looks pretty nice... anyways,</p>

<p>Can anyone recommend to me any advice on getting started with this system? I've shot film just as much as I've shot digital and am familiar with the process, so I'm really only looking for info on the camera system and certain things about it that might be good to look out for when getting started with it. Also if anyone can recommend somewhere to buy these things for cheaper than they're going for on ebay that would be helpful! Figured it might be smart to make a post about this <em>before</em> I purchased a decent part of the camera system at once. <br>

Thanks!</p>

<p>Advice:<br>

1) Find, and buy, a 'barebones only' body. Parts insurance.<br>

2) <em><strong>Do Not</strong></em> bother with 'vacuum backs.' They are useful <strong>ONLY</strong> for 220 film. 220 film is no longer available...<br>

too bad.</p>

<p>*****<br>

The Contax 645AF is a terrific camera.</p>

<p>I own one.</p>

<p>Ricky,</p>

<p>If you want the Tilt & Shift, try to find an Arsat 55mm PCS in P-6 mount.<br>

Buy the P6 to Contax 645 adapter. Its a sharp lens. </p>

<p>Other choice would be to attempt to locate a Mamiya 645 to Contax 645 adapter.<br>

Use the Mamiya 645 50 shift PCS. Another sharp lens.</p>

<p>With the exception of the 55mm, 210mm, & 350mm, the Contax 645 optic lenses lineup are all fine.<br>

I have the Contax 45-90mm zoom.<br>

You can try to find the Contax MAM-1 adapter to use the Hasselblad V optics. I use the 50mmF2.8 and the 60-120mm zoom.<br>

Both are sharp optics.</p>

<p>Evan</p>

<p>Get the 120 Apo Makro lens - that in itself is worth shooting with the system. The 55mm lens is a great travel lens - small, compact, sharp. In fact, if I were getting back into the Contax system, I would start with the 55 and 120 lenses. Consider an older second hand digital back (e.g. Sinar or Aptus). There will be some compromises re digital integration (incorrect exif data) but the results can be very good. Carry spare batteries or get the optional handgrip that takes AA batteries. Be careful with the lens hoods - although they are metal, the bayonets that affix them to the lenses are plastic and tend to break and the small screws in them get loose.</p>

<p>Ricky,<br>

From whomever you buy your Contax 645 system from and if you have to built up your lens lineup, try to find dealer (Keh) who will offer you a 15 inspection return policy with full refund.<br>

Once you have your base system and whatever Contax 645 optics you will pick up, do send them all off to Tocad America for COMPLETE CHECKUP AND IF NEEDED, have everything repaired or overhaul.<br>

I understand the 10 year timeframe for repairs & available parts are near the end of the supply. If possible have a spare body with prism on hand. I have (2) complete 645 systems with several focal lengths optics I was able to locate. <br>

Film are still available , but in limited choices. I use B & H Photo,Adorama, and Unique Photo for my film. Good Luck on your choice of system.</p>

<p>Evan</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Don't. Contax is a dead system. The interest in them is largely do to a few high profile film shooters who use them and have all of a sudden got a bit of a following. As a result they are way overpriced. I guarantee that the camera is not the reason their work looks like it does. <br>

Get a Mamiya 645 AFD. The body and lenses will cost half of the overpriced hard to repair Contax, and you will be able to get service and repairs done. Plus you can buy brand new lenses for it. <br>

Also, the Hasselblad H1 with 80mm lens and back are selling for under $2000 used, so you might look there to. <br>

<br />If you really want a bargain the Pentax 645NII is out there and is a heck of a camera for the money. </p>

<p>I still use the C645 system and love it. The glass is superb, the bellows is as good as that made for the Contax RTS and the ergonomics make it a joy to handle.<br>

Some of the respondents are right to remind you that this is a defunct system and you would be wise to grab an extra body or two so that in the event of a failure, you can continue to shoot. There's still quite a lot of 220 film about and the vacuum insert is a good idea to get the maximum from the Zeiss glassware - having double the number of exposures is a real boon if you're busy shooting. <br>

Although the Zeiss lenses are hard to beat, the availability of adapters means you can choose alternatives; I'm just about to buy the C645/Mamiya 645 Adapter as I used Mamiya lenses before I adopted the Contax and some of their glass is superb (and a lot cheaper!) and they offer a much wider range of focal lengths and types. I also have a wonderful Hartblei 500 f5.6 mirror lens specially adapted for the Contax; some of the lenses made for the Pentacon 6 are worth considering, including the ubiquitous Arsat 30mm fish-eye.<br>

In addition to shooting 120, 220 and Fuji Instant film, I have been using an old Ixpress 384C digital back - 16Mp on a big sensor - and it has a multi-shot capability when used in tethered mode. I use the back a lot on nature rambles through the hills here - lovely images. I'm just about to sell it though as I've managed to bag a recently serviced Ixpress 132C 22Mp back which I hope to receive next week. If it's really good, then I can't justify keeping both backs.<br>

You will love using the Contax - it's beautifully engineered and simple to use. At this time of year in the Northern Hemisphere, I use it with a P-8 or P-8D Power Pack so that the batteries stay warm. If I'm shooting a group of people and need a flash, the Contax TLA360 with the PS-220 Power Pack is a superb combination, offering full TTL metering. I also use a Metz 54 MZ-4 with the Contax 645 SCA Adapter which offers the same plus a 'modelling light' facility.<br>

Enjoy the camera BUT do grab a few spares while you can.</p>

• 2 months later...
<p>I have used a Contax 645 since the late 90's. I love the system. It replaced my Bladd system because it is easier to operate, and with excellent results. Get a "bare bones body" or two for parts. If you want to go digital, get a good 35+MP back. I am still upset with Kyosera for punting on such a good system.</p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>Hey guys, sorry I didn't get email notifications so I didn't see anyone replied to my thread. <br>

I've been using the Contax 645 for a couple months now. I have the 3.5/35, 2/80, and 2.8/140 Zeiss lenses and the 220 vacuum insert, 120/220 insert, and of course the body with a prism viewfinder. Soon I'm buying the 2.8/45 lens and a Bill Maxwell Hi-Lux focusing screen. Also, buying a Sekonic L-608 this week hopefully... it's been hard finding one used. <br>

A week into owning the camera something went wrong with it, and I had to have it sent in for a repair to Pro Camera US. I got it back a few weeks later and have barely had time to shoot one roll through it, along with the two rolls I was able to shoot before it broke. So far I love it and think it was a great decision to switch to using film... and I think I made a good choice as far as which system to invest in. </p>