Anybody an expert on the Krauss Peggy Norm...?

<p>Hello<br>

Is there anyone in this forum who is an expert or very knowledgeable about the Krauss Peggy Norm? I recently acquired one and I am trying to determine if it still works however I am not familiar with how the shutter is cocked. I know from research that the Peggy I and II were either cocked with the knob on the photographer's left (on most cameras this is the film rewinder - but not with the Peggy) or by opening and closing extendible front part of the camera. The Norm seems to be different in that there is a switch on the top of the ring that sets the shutter speed. Apparently, from what I gather, this switch is what is used to cock the shutter. If true, mine has the switch locked to right (as you are facing the camera) and I cannot move it back to the left as is seen in many pictures of the Peggy Norm. When I press the shutter release button, it will not budge. As such, I think my Peggy Norm's shutter is in a perpetual cocked mode and can't be released. But I would like to converse with someone who has a Peggy Norm and get some more information before I just put it on permanent display. In lieu of that, if it is broken maybe it can be fixed - if someone knows a person who has worked on Peggy's before. I'd welcome any information about trying to get the camera to work or any leads to repair services.<br>

Thanks in advance!<br>

Dave W.</p>

<p>From Camera Pedia...The <strong>Peggy I</strong> has a tubular optical viewfinder only. It was renamed the <strong>Peggy Norm</strong> after the introduction of the Peggy II. On the early cameras, the shutter is automatically cocked by pushing the scissor struts.<sup id="cite_ref-0" ><a href="http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Peggy#cite_note-0">[1]</a></sup> On late examples of the Peggy Norm, the shutter is manually wound via an extra lever at the top of the front standard. Chrome finish was available as an option from about the same time.</p>

<p>Interesting camera, <strong>David</strong>. As Ray has hinted above, there seems to be some confusion over the chronological successions around Peggy Norms, I and II, and just which had the cocking lever as opposed to the auto-cocking with the struts. Anyway, have you determined just where the jam is occurring? Can you delve in behind the lens board with a suitable tool in an attempt to trip the shutter at the point where the linkages connect to the shutter? If the shutter will trip at this point then obviously you have a mechanical issue with the button/linkages.</p>

<p>I don't know the Peggy model at a ll. I have had some lucj in what was initially perceived as a jammed shutter. In no way should this be forced but after pressing the release I heard a dull click .. out of frustration I then put a mild pressure on the what was (on these cameras) the cocking arm and it moved and made the tell tale tic tic of the timer escapement. with a gentle pressure and patience it slowly ticked to completion and the shutter tripped. These were both mid 30/40s folders and one was just stuck but the other was related to the "timer" being engaged. I hope ypu get this resolved. I'm curious to see this "Peggy"</p>

<p>Thanks again guys for the info! Rick, you mentioned repairing a Compur shutter is not that difficult. Do you know of a really reputable person or outfit that could do this work? Ideally it would be great if they actually had experience with fixing Krauss Peggys. Please let me know if you have any leads!<br>

Until then...<br>

Dave W.</p>

• 1 year later...
<p>Dave, I hope you're still watching this string, & that you still have your Peggy--a wonderful camera! Maybe you've already scoped out the cocking, but if not, this info might help. The Peggy (at least mine) won't cock unless it thinks the film has advanced. If the camera is empty, you can "fool" it by opening the camera and rotating the sprocket wheels with your thumb. The sprocket wheels are just under the pressure plate, to the right. The Peggy, by the way, has a super Schneider Xenon lens, and takes great pictures. Mine arrived without a take-up spool, but I was able to cobble a spool from a discarded can of film--I stuck a short piece notched dowel in the axis of the spool to catch the bottom of the advance knob. The film must be taped to the spool. The supply canister just fits in the right-hand hollow. There's no rewind knob on the Peggy--when you get to the end of your roll, you must unload the camera in a darkroom. The whole business is rather tricky, so I'd practice a few times with a dummy roll. Hope this helps, and good luck! Norm </p>