Canon FT QL prism woes

red_robin

<p>I've had a beautiful black ft ql on the shelf for years. An antique store find the body seems nearly new. the lens as I recall was a 50mm something that seemed to have been polished with sandpaper. the only issue is with the prism from top to about center has some de-sivering. is there a replacement? Is there a same size off another camera that works?</p>

<p>On Canon SLRs of this type, the prism is held in place by a bracket lined with foam padding. This padding deteriorates over time, resulting in the de-silvering you see. I believe the prisms in the F series cameras with common chassis are interchangeable. This would include the FP, FX, Pellix/Pellix QL, FT-QL, TL, FTb/FTbN, TLb, TX and the B&H FD35. Of course, you would need to find a donor camera with an intact prism. An alternative would be to have the prism re-silvered, or to clean it yourself and come up with your own homebrew repair. While I haven't yet repaired one myself, I've considered laminating a piece of mirrored material to the damaged facets of the prism. You could use a section of a front surface mirror, such as those used for kaleidoscopes, or take the mirror from a Polaroid SX-70. If you're willing to assume the risk, here's a link to a tutorial on removing the top cover of a Canon FT:</p>

<p><a href="http://looscanons.com/tutorials/tutFT/index2.html">http://looscanons.com/tutorials/tutFT/index2.html</a></p>

<p>Also, search the forum for earlier threads on prism de-silvering.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>My camera repairman Bibot, replaced the prism of my Canon FTbn with a prism coming from an Canon Ae-1. I've opened an FT, FTB, and FTbn and the prism size is all the same. I had a spare prism from a Pentax Me Super and to my amazement and disbelif it fitted the Canon FT, even the bracket don't need adjustment? It just have a convex prism unlike Canon prism which is flat, maybe due to magnification, and metering. Maybe 35mm cams share the same mirror, prism, cage size due to film size but there could be exceptions..............................</p>

<p>It's been a while since I took the cover off of my FTb, but my recollection is that it was relatively straightforward with one exception. Like the FT, there is a dark gray disc under the shutter speed dial with four equally spaced notches. A pin on the underside of the shutter speed dial fits into one specific notch to link it to, and index it with, the exposure meter. Before you totally remove the shutter speed dial, note and mark the specific notch to ensure proper indexing when you reassemble.</p>

<p>One fairly common problem with F series bodies is that the plastic window over the frame counter loosens and falls out, sometimes jamming the winding mechanism. You may want to put a spot of glue on it to ensure it will stay is place after reassembly.</p>

<p>Red, I have no idea, but it wouldn't surprise me if they were similar enough to swap. Here's a link to the T50 service manual if you decide to open it up:</p>

<p><a href="http://www.baytan.org/prak/pdf/serv/T50-serv-rep.pdf">http://www.baytan.org/prak/pdf/serv/T50-serv-rep.pdf</a></p>

<p>Popping the top on a T50 is pretty straightforward. The only complication is the hot shoe wiring which is somewhat fragile.</p>

<p>Red, I have never seen a Canon t-50 but check the mirror cage for sameness with your FT. The cage, mirror are the same sizes, and when it goes up should also be the same fit size? I think the mirror cage are one and the same as with other 35mm slr's due to film size, it's a standard size but don't take my word for it? I only have gone with the AE-1 prism and the Pentax Me which fits but like Gordon, I would not be surprise if they are similar to swap, just hoping for the best..............gudluck</p>