The Beautiful Baldessa from Bunde

<p>Wow Rick, wonderful post, such good color and contrast, and very appealing subject matter. That Invicta is a beast, looks like an asphalt setter. The Frontier scans are amazing, it is a horrible thing that they are disappearing in NYC one by one. Thanks for sharing with us and allow me to share my neat Balda, a sister of yours which I suspect may have the same lens as yours, but possibly rebadged. (Love that key wind in the bottom)</p><div>00cS6T-546263584.jpg.66319cd884f883f9682af4705a4f3d71.jpg</div>

<p>Wow what a jewel of a camera. Loved the one "...at Speed" with the guys on the tractor and the big sky! A great shot ! This seems to be a good find and I wonder, here in the load-o-plenty if I can't find one. That flip out rewind on the bottom is like Voigtlaender? Nice to see two of these guys at once. </p>

<p>Don't know which I like the best...those wonderful old machines or the very pretty Balda. I don't have a Balda in my cupboard, and that is a shame, because I really love that design.<br>

Baldas were often considered as cheap and cheerful, but that didn't stop them producing a really neat looking camera. Your pics show that the lens does really well too, colour and sharpness are spot on.<br>

The classic machinery bug is just starting to pick up here, but we seem to be behind with the traction engines, as they are just starting to re appear.</p>

<p>Great responses. I guess it's nice to feature an oddball camera for a change, though I suspect I have an excess of oddball cameras... That's a nice tidy Baldessa, <strong>Ralf</strong>; as I mentioned in the text, so far as I'm aware the Baldanar lens was a triplet, and I don't know if the Baldessa 1b was offered with that lens as an alternative to the four-element Westenar. Thanks, <strong>JDM</strong>, steam tractors a-plenty and your message was finally deciphered; those big engines are impressive at speed, as <strong>Chuck</strong> noted.</p>

<p>You're right, <strong>Dave </strong>and<strong> Jean Yves</strong>; design-wise the Baldessa stands on it's own but it works really well, in the same sort of league as the admirable Werra that <strong>Kent</strong> mentioned. I guess the burgeoning availability of SLR's with interchangeable lenses wooed most serious photographers away from the rangefinders, though they continued to dominate the amateur market. You're quite right <strong>Tony</strong>, Balda products were never held in very high regard but the few I have all have some sort of quirky appeal, such as the Super Baldina rangefinder with the pop-out lens. I think many of these mid-range German cameras, such as the Frankas, are under-rated. How about sending us some better weather, rather than worn-out cyclones?</p>

<p>I know the kind of radio you mentioned,<strong> John Shriver</strong>; have you seen what <em>they're</em> fetching on the auctions, though I'm no great fan. And thank you <strong>Gary</strong>,<strong> Mike</strong>, <strong>Kris</strong> and<strong> Paul</strong>; I think you're right about the big Cat being the D10. It had it's history written up on a display board, but I can't recall the model designation. I'd love you to post some images from your next Leicestershire field-day, <strong>John Seaman</strong>, just to compare.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Rick,</p>

<p>I really like these open air displays of operating machinery whether it be planes, cars, or farm equipment. It really puts them in their proper environment.</p>

<p>This Baldessa seems to be a fine example of late 50's West German cameras. You have done a fine job showing it's capabilities. </p>

<p>I found an ad in a January issue of Popular Photography. Soon after the distributor started showcasing the Balda Baldamatic. It shows how fast things can change. </p>

<p>I found a test of the Baldessa 1b in the September issue of Modern Photography. They also tested 3 other cameras that might be of interest. Instead of cutting and pasting I thought I would just include all of the tests.</p>

<p> Baldessa-Ad-sm

<p>How is your Flickr viewing? I know you mentioned a problem last time I posted a link.</p>

<p>Thanks,<strong> Marc</strong>, I'm pleased you liked the post, and thanks for the usual interesting material. The Flickr issues continue; I had no problems viewing your link, but some others stall, and I can't organize the material on my own galleries. Flickr support have been very helpful and after several transmission tests we seem to have narrowed the issue down to a faulty modem/router. I have another on order and hope it fixes the problem. It's odd, in that only Flickr/Flickriver sites seem to be affected.</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>Yes, the pictures of the Baldessa and the pictures it made are equally enjoyable. Thanks for an informative review. I had forgotten about the little 1b tucked away in a drawer behind a couple of Retina folders. I smile at the design every time I hold the little guy. </p>