Bring back APS!

Karim Ghantous

<p>To me, the only possible reason for wanting to go the APS route was the Canon Elf. How could anyone not like the Elf? It was so cute, and it was even more compact than the old Rollei 35. But like others have mentioned, I was put off by the smaller format. And I couldn't help but think <em>at the time of its introduction </em>that the smaller format would eventually be its undoing. And it was. And while it's convenient -- in a way -- to have the negatives stored inside the cassette, as one who prefers to do his own developing -- even wth C-41 -- I find to have them stored in a cassette instead of in archival sheets to be an unnecessary complication. So ultimately I'm glad I ended up not buying into the format.</p>

<p>The APS legacy lives on, however. How many of us shoot APS-C format digitals, eh? Most of us, I'll wager.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I did once wonder about home developing of C41 APS film. <br>

24mm reels are rare.</p>

<p>As I understand it, there is some way to get the film out, and then back in again. </p>

<p>I have a roll of developed APS C41 film, but didn't try to open it. I bought a camera for a low price with an almost unused roll inside. I finished the roll, had it developed and scanned, but not printed. That was when Walgreen's returned the negatives (but just barely). </p>

<p>Is there a way to get it out, in a changing bag, and onto a reel? <br>

(I have some unused rolls, though they might not be very good by now.)</p>

-- glen

<p>APS film is quite easy to get out of the cartridge. Use something like the cap off a Bic ballpoint pen to open the "door" where the film comes out, and then just turn the central spool (again, with the pen cap or something similar) to force the leader out.</p>

<p>Of course, if the film has been developed, as you say it has been in your case, then no changing bag is needed. Light is not going to matter.</p>

<p>Edit: How-to video here:<br>

<a href="

• 2 months later...